The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Bouchard Nuits St Georges 1er "Les Cailles"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

WTN: 2005 Bouchard Nuits St Georges 1er "Les Cailles"

by David Z » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:55 pm

This has a smidge too much oak for my tastes, but the grape juice in this wine is tremendous. Very very concentrated and rich primarily red cherry flavors with a smidge of dark cherry but not too much. Much to my surprise, this is much more to the feminine, floral side of Burgundy- its a very fruit-forward, concentrated rendition thereof, but decidedly fragrant and translucent in the glass. SIlky tannins; a very round, almost New World-like mouthfeel. A long aftertaste with a tart/bitter note and, given the roundness of the wine, a surprising burst of acidity. The vanilla on the nose is the only flaw here, and I suspect this wine can handle the oak treatment in time.

There's a definite nod to the New World here, but not its overripe. Me like lots, even in what I imagine is a very closed-down stage. This could be fantastic in a few years. In terms of concentration and sap this easily matches the GC's I've had from non-2005 vintages.

A "steal" at $55.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2005 Bouchard Nuits St Georges 1er "Les Cailles"

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:26 pm

I doubt there is any nod to the New World in anything but a very warm vintage. The oak will recede. I guarantee it!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:46 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:The oak will recede. I guarantee it!

David, are you volunteering to be the AIG of wine? Can we do Oak Default Swaps? :)
I hope the oak integrates, but I didn't buy any '05 Bouchards, the '02 Cailles (and Volnay "Carnot" Caillerets) are worrisome enough for me.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:01 pm

TFIC on the oak comment.

I've had several 2005 Bouchards that I liked very much, especially the Beaune du Chateau.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:53 pm

I never saw the Beaune de Chateau for 2005. It was the one 2002 Bouchard red that I tried which seemed to have balanced oak to me (and it was the cheapest of the ones I bought). Probably would have bought the '05 if I saw at a good price.