The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Book Tasting Note: "Corkscrewed"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Book Tasting Note: "Corkscrewed"

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:19 pm

Corkscrewed: Adventures in the New French Wine Country, by Robert V. Camuto

Picked up a copy of this at Chambers Street Wines last week and just finished reading it. Each of the book's twelve chapters deals with one or more alternative French winemakers and their philosophies, all quite different. Camuto doesn't write like a wine geek, but his curiosity is seemingly drawn towards makers of geek wines, mostly mavericks and iconoclasts, guardians of traditional practices or proponents of less interventionistic new practices. In trying to make the most honest wines, one gets the impression that these winemakers at least make some of the most fascinating. There was much for me to learn here (I had never heard of, say, chatus, and some of the other more obscure varietals and out-of-the-way appelations mentioned) and there is also much food for thought concerning winemaking ethics. If you're not interested in natural winemaking, this may change that. If you already are, this might add new directions (the book added half a dozen places to my list of potential wine destinations). Never a shrill missionary, Camuto is unpretentious and grinds his axe so lightly that you almost don't feel it's there. He clearly absorbed harangues from his blowhard interviewees but relays them in a measured way. Well worth reading.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

Re: Book Tasting Note: "Corkscrewed"

by Victorwine » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:54 pm

Robert Camuto was a guest On Gary V’s Wine Library TV (Thunder Show), early March. The show was themed “Terrior and French Wine”. (There are actually Two Parts). During the show he did make a “plug” for his book. The book sounded interesting, Robert said that a group of French winemakers and vine growers are now searching out and producing wine from grape varieties that over the years were “lost and forgotten” about.

Salute
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

Re: Book Tasting Note: "Corkscrewed"

by geo t. » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:43 pm

Just started reading this; only onto the 2nd chapter. So far so good. My wife Kim liked it quite well.

Cheers,

geo
Nunquam Spuemus