The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Ethical Obligation- You find a typo in a price...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

Ethical Obligation- You find a typo in a price...

by David Z » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:21 pm

I was at a major wine store in one of the major Northeastern metropolitan areas. I saw a 2005 1er cru Cote de Nuits from a major negociant that was only a few dollars more than a 1er Cote de Beaune from a non-fancy vineyard, same negociant, on the same shelf. It seemed like a decent deal to me, so I picked up the bottle.

I just got home and checked the prices. The Cote de Beaune wine was correctly priced, roughly 10% more than the big internet stores. The Cote de Nuits wine was grossly underpriced, about 45% cheaper than the next cheapest price available on the internet. (And if you factor in shipping, its more like 50%).

The wine wasn't on sale and was recently received by the store (it was put on the shelf b/w my last visit 2 weeks ago and today). I'm 99% sure that the price is a mistake.

I purchase wine from this store about once every 2 weeks.

What's my obligation here? My sense is that I have no obligation to inform them of the mistake but that it would be ethically wrong to go back and buy a case of the wine (and get a further 10% discount, bringing the price even ridiculously lower). On the other hand, I can see an argument that given my on-going relationship with the store I should at least call them and let them know, and maybe even offer to return the wine.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: Ethical Obligation- You find a typo in a price...

by Ian Sutton » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:33 pm

David
In general I take the ticket price as it is and wouldn't question it. If however they gave me £10 too much in change, I'd always correct the mistake.

However, if this is a store where you have an ongoing relationship where they "go beyong the call of duty" for you, then in this instance, I suspect it's well worth returning the favour. First up say you bought the bottle and you thought it seemed a good price. On getting home you realised it's "too good". You've popped back :
a) So they can double check and correct the mistake
b) If you offer to return the wine, they have the option to take it back - though unless it were 1/10th of the correct price, I don't know anyone who would do so.
c) If there wasn't a pricing mistake, where do you back the truck up and do they have a carry-to-car service?!

Occasional poster here Warren described that in his trading days, if the deal seemed too good, he'd say "Are you sure?". That's a very considerate (and long-term view) way to do business. I respect him for that, even if it's not something I do.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:40 pm

A few weeks ago while reading through my receipt on my way to my car, I realized I'd been charged for one of something I'd actually bought three of, a windfall of about four bucks. I felt a twinge of guilt, then remembered the container of arugula I'd bought the week before that turned bad in a day and ceased worrying. A little instant karma's not a bad thing.

But were I you, as a regular customer of that store I'd be inclined to do them the favor of that phone call and presume that in exchange they'd be happy to let the inadvertent discount given me stand. If they didn't, I'd be less inclined to shop there in the future.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:41 pm

David, my response may not be ethically defensible but it goes as follows -

If I am on very friendly terms with the owners/managers and get excellent service from them, I point out errors like that. I want them to prosper so that the excellent relationship can continue. However, this sort of relationship usually only exists with a family run niche business.

If I am buying at a supermarket or a large someone impersonal store, I accept errors in my favour and I might even go back and buy a dozen.

Your case here seems to fall somewhat between the two extremes because you are a regular customer and probably want to foster a good or better relationship. I think that I would follow your last suggestion of calling and informing them without, though, offering to return the purchases already made.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:43 pm

As you purchased in good faith, I'd say you have no obligation to report the (purported) mistake.

I would say, however, that if you are pretty sure it's an error, you'd probably feel better if you decided to tell them. Actually, I guess you could question price, without indicating that you already bought at that price.

I've generally found that if one is wondering about what ethical thing to do is in these situations, the "good" part of you is letting you know you'll feel guilty if you do nothing.

In past year I've contacted stores where after picking up orders I discovered (a) I got Leflaive Puligny instead of Bourgogne, (b) I got a full bottle of Chablis when I ordered a 375, and (c) they gave me an extra bottle of Barolo. All of the retailers have treated me decently, and it should be a 2-way street.

Of course, If it turns it's correct, whoo hoo, buy the case!
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:09 pm

David, Hi....

The very fact that you raise the question shows that part of your moral compass is giving you a problem. That being the case I would certainly inform the store. Agreed that you are under no legal obligation to do so but to paraphrase Albert Camus: "The only important questions are those of morality"

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:14 pm

If I can tell it's an incorrect price I try to find someone who knows what they are doing & tell them. The normal reaction is take a few for yourself & we'll re-mark the rest. Of course if it's an egregious error that generosity of their part is unlikely.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

by David Z » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:16 pm

What I decided to do is keep the bottle- I bought the wine to serve with dinner tonight and I don't feel like driving back to the store today anyways. However, tomorrow I'm going to go to the store and let them know of the possible mistake.

I feel like this is best of both worlds. I keep the wine. The store is informed of the mistake before someone less scrupulous buys a case.

If they stand by their price, I might pick up a couple of more bottles.

FWIW, I decidedly bought in good faith. In fact, I nearly passed over the bottle for a 2005 Hudelot-Noellot Vosne Romanee. The wine was priced at $55 and should have been priced at ~$100, and I don't keep close track of prices in that range.
Last edited by David Z on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:19 pm

Obligation?

I don't think you have any particular obligation to go back and get charged more. You have bought the bottle at the posted price and consummated the transaction.

I do think it would be courteous of you (and even more so if you are a frequent customer of the place) to advise the owner/manager that you suspect there might be a pricing error.

Ethics are a personal matter, but now that you suspect there may be an error, should you go back and take advantage of that error, and by further compounding it by getting an additional case discount...yeah, I'd say you were treading on unethical ice at that point. Until proven otherwise, the retailer is an honest person in a business, and you are an honest person benefitting from that business.

If you were the owner, wouldn't you appreciate knowing?

Although it often is---on both sides---the retailer/customer relationship should not be viewed as adversarial.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:42 pm

This sorta happened to me once, but the good deal (about $30 to my benefit) more reflects the incompetence of the store (BevMo) labelling and computer system. I did tell them later, but I went out of my way at the time to make sure they were selling the unmarked bottle for the right price.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

by Jeff B » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:54 pm

Now if only I could have the good fortune of seeing my local wine shop mis-price the latest Dom releases as $1.09 instead of $109. Amazing what glorious wonders a simple decimal placement could do.....;)

Just kidding. In such an extreme (and obviously wrong) example that I stated I could never take advantage of such a typo with the sticker gun. I'd feel guilty for sure.

But I can always dream about such a scenario, free of guilt...;)

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:40 pm

Jenise wrote:A few weeks ago while reading through my receipt on my way to my car, I realized I'd been charged for one of something I'd actually bought three of, a windfall of about four bucks.

Jenise - you gotta lay off that Two Buck Chuck, it will rot your moral fiber!
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:37 am

On one occasion a clerk started putting my multi-bottle purchase into bags. I asked him if he could put my order into a box. The guy went into a rant about everyone wanting boxes and being too lazy to make multiple trips etc., etc. As he grudgingly boxed the wine for me, while in full rant mode, he accidently boxed up a $70+ CdP without scanning it. My lips were sealed. I did call a mispriced Volnay to a small stores attention one time. One of the young clerks had place it in the wrong rack and tagged it incorrectly.

My ultimate non-wine related mispricing was from Lowes. I bought 8 rolls of wall paper for our dining room that retailed for $22 per. When the clerk rang them up the TOTAL come to a little over $10! I told her that the sign in the on the rack said $22 each. She scanned them again and said "No, the price is $1.07 each." I wallpapered my entire dining room for about $10!
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

by David Z » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:31 am

Update: the wine store in question couldn't have been ruder when I told them, they said, and I quote, that "I probably wouldn't know the right price anyways". (I'm 27).

I'm going back today and backing up the truck and clearing them out, if someone else hasn't gotten to it sooner. After I've bought my fill I'll gladly post the name online.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:34 am

David Z wrote:Update: the wine store in question couldn't have been ruder when I told them, they said, and I quote, that "I probably wouldn't know the right price anyways". (I'm 27).

I'm going back today and backing up the truck and clearing them out, if someone else hasn't gotten to it sooner. After I've bought my fill I'll gladly post the name online.

Go for it!
Last edited by Oswaldo Costa on Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:57 pm

Am I right in assuming that the wrong price is both on the shelf/bottle and comes up on the till when they read the bar-code?
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:02 pm

Well in addition to clearing up any moral dilemna, I think this gives a very clear steer for you next time you encounter a pricing mistake in that shop - after all what would you know about pricing? :wink:

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:36 pm

I had a situation many years back with Champagne where they advertised Pol Roger NV Brut for $19.99 in the newsletter but had the Vintage on the shelf for $19.99. I questioned the clerk and store manager and they tried to convince me that this was the NV. I bought 6 bottles then got an angry call from the owner the next day saying that I knew better and essentially stole from them. Despite the fact that this is a pretty good wine shop very close to my house I haven't been back to that store in 8-9 years.

Tom T.
Tom T.