The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: The Petersons visit NY (Bdx, Tuscan, MSR)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: The Petersons visit NY (Bdx, Tuscan, MSR)

by Dale Williams » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:17 pm

Jon and Liz Peterson were in town, Ramon and I met them at Cipolla Rosso, a new Tuscan place near the 59th st bridge. Very nice people, a fun evening, good food,and the wines all showed well.

We opened with the 2007 Reinhold Haart Piesporter Goldtropfchen Riesling Kabinett. I recently subscribed to the Mosel Fine Wines newsletter (free, highly recommended, moselfinewines.com ) where they listed the better producers in what they regard as the "Grand Cru Hors Classe" vineyards, Haart was at the top of the PG. Even though "just" a Kabinett, this supports that claim. Sweet clementines and nectarines, vibrant acids, long slatey finish. Delicious. A-

We had an assortment of appetizers: eggplant parmigiana,  wild boar sausages with white beans, calamari, vegetables with a light tempura- like batter, and asparagus wrapped in proscuitto and also fried with that batter. All very tasty.

1985 Leoville Poyferre
Fully mature, sweet black and red currant fruit, some leather. Round and easy. B/B+

1978 Trotanoy
There's some barnyard on the nose, but the brett isn't overwhelming and actually integrates a bit with time. Red plusher fruits, some coffee and earth. A little browning on edges,but not OTH, and actually holds up nicely over a couple hours. B+/B

We got a couple of pasta dishes, I liked the pheasant, but really loved the fresh pappardelle with wild boar ragu. Then a nice steak with arugula. We finished with some cheeses.

1989 Leoville Barton
I've always liked this wine, but this bottle showed best I've had, though still young. Still some tannins,but they are fine and not harsh. Moderate acids add to the structure and seem to brighten the fruit. Good classic cassis notes, some little hints of herb and earth, excellent length. WOTN A-

1994 L'Evangile

I thought this also showed quite well. Pomerol certainly seems to be the appellation for '94, this was structured but without the hardness a lot of '94s have. Nice dark plum fruit, some cigarbox, I quite enjoyed. B+

1995 Montevertine "Il Sodaccio"
This was my backup in case Trot was off, but I didn't feel like lugging it back home (though I did with leftover half!). I think I liked this more than table, it struck me as young but lovely. Black cherries, spice, bright acids. Perfect Chianti (no matter what label says). I have one magnum of this remaining, absolutely no hurry. A-/B+

Really fun night. We got really lucky with the wines! I hope Jon and Liz come back to NY soon, nice people, and I'd like Betsy to meet. Nice night for a walk back to Grand Central, feeling groovy.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: The Petersons visit NY (Bdx, Tuscan, MSR)

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:31 pm

Looks like you were feelin' groovy.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:11 pm

Sound lovely, sorry couldn't make it!
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:13 pm

Admittedly, I’m spoiled by Dale’s usual ways to get the spot-on wine notes rolling and have me re-live the wines that we drank. Thanks Dale ... although I like the 78 Trotanoy more than your rating seems to indicate. I’m glad to have had all the wines that we had and would be happy to drink any of them again. I thank all for bringing them. I’m happier to have enjoyed the companies of Jon, Liz and Dale.

Ramon
Ramon Cabrera
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:58 pm

I don't generally find Sangiovese to be the best variety for holding leftovers overnight, but a glass of the Montevertine was rather nice last night. Rounder, a bit spicier, still good length.

Ramon, the Trot was good, but my expectations might have been too high, the '75 is great, while this twas merely good to very good.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:08 pm

Did you kick up any cobble stones?
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:39 pm

Actually no, I meant to, but got caught up in a conversation with a lamppost.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:00 pm

Actually no, I meant to, but got caught up in a conversation with a lamppost.

Dale,

What exactly was Mr. Lamppost knowin'?

In all seriousness, is there anything special about that bridge that would merit having a song written about it?
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:42 pm

Sam,
it's a nice bridge. I'd just assume Simon was in neighborhood,or maybe walked it. If he had been going from Manhattan to Brooklyn, probably would have been Williamsburg Bridge Song or Brooklyn Bridge Song
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:45 pm

Thank you, Dale, for the notes that are spot on and thanks again to both you and Ramon for the evening. I have not been to too many offlines and each has its best qualities but this one on the 15th wins all around best. One takes a risk attending an offline, especially as an out-of-towner, but we had a lot of fun and that speaks well of the folks who visit the WLDG on a regular basis. Pictures to come!