The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: D'Armailhac, Peyrau, Tower Estate , Beringer, Vignalta

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: D'Armailhac, Peyrau, Tower Estate , Beringer, Vignalta

by Brian K Miller » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:33 am

Nice wine weekend!

Friday Night-fantastic dinner at Fuso Italian Restaurant. It's good to see sleepy, chain dominated Vacaville has such a good chef-driven restaurant!

2001 Tower Estate Hunter Valley Shiraz. Wow. Just wow. A much richer bottle than the last one. Excellent berry fruit, with lovely notes of cherry. Delicious, amazing old leather character. A lot going on-the mouth feel had this delicious chewy (but not tannic) "texture" that I found amazing. Only 13.5% abv-no heat, no oxidation. Delicious. 95 points, especially given the qpr ($30) Wine of the Week!

2003 Beringer "Private Reserve" Napa Valley. Pretty soft and approachable-no strong tannins here. Definitely a fruity Napa Cab, versus the more classic style that Beaulieu seems to be reaching for. Still, this was a very pleasant, classy, quaffable fruity cab, with good fruit that is not cloying at all, plenty of licorice/anise notes. Very drinkable right now, but I think there is the acidic structure to age a few more years (I have one more bottle). 90 points-an exemplar of its type.

In Sonoma:

2005 Az. Ag. Vignalta "Venda" Colli Euganei Rosso 80% Merlot, 20% Cab Franc. This Veneto red surprised me. Does not taste like a California Merlot or a Bordeaux Right Bank at all. Instead, there is a nervous tension here (popped and poured from a new bottle) that shouted "Italian" to me at least. Tasted blind, I would have sworn there was Sangiovese in the blend! Very tangy, high acidity, good bright red fruit. Not the softish, sweet reds associated in my limited experience with the Veneto.

Wine Styles Blues Concert Saturday night:

2004 Chateau Peyraud Saint Emillion Grand Cru. A deliciously rich French Merlot. Not really "New World," but not classic Bordeaux either. (Although Kevin at Wine Syles thought it tasted very French) Waves of dark berry and cherry fruit, already some very delicious leather and tobacco notes. Also some smoky notes from the high toast barrel??? Yep...definitely some oak (Otto would not like), but somehow this winery avoids the cloying vanilla soup too prevalent in Napa. A very rich wine worthy of 90 points just for the pure slurpability. Not classic, but delicious.

At Wine Styles Sunday Afternoon: Chateau D'Armailhac 2002 Pauillac. Sure it was too young, very tannic, maybe a little closed etc., etc. etc. BUT, we all thought this wine was pretty classic. Very pretty berry/cassis fruit on the nose with some pleasant green pepper herbaceiousness-in balance, though. Definitely some tannins, and the fruit is somewhat reticent right now, but I stil found the mouthfeel and lightness delicious. We did not give this the long decant it deserved, but it was still classy and elegant. 90 points with strong upside potential What was interesting is Beau gave us a taste of Hess Mount Veeder Cabernet, which is not a particularly fruit forward wine for Napa. It tasted almost sweet compared to the D'Armailhac (which actually cost less money when I bought it a few years ago!)

http://www.thewinedoctor.com/bordeaux/armailhac.shtml

Sunday night: 2006 Saintsbury "Toyon Vineyard" Carneros Pinot Noir. Cranberry color. A very restrained and somewhat elegant California Pinot. Definitely some fruit and alcohol, more to the bright cherry/cranberry/ side of Pinot. BUT...the fruit does not knock you upside the head, it is not cloyingly sweet, and there are a lot of things going on in the nose and the mouth. I sniffed brown sugar (but only a hint) cranberry, earth, mushroom, etc. etc. A very nice Cali Pinot. 88 points. Could merit some cellar time-this would come together a little better in two years.

2006 Robert Craig Howell Mountain Zinfandel. Rather elegant Zinfandel, with strong zinberry fruit, only a tiny hint of jam...less black pepper than when I tried this at the winery last year. Still, went very well with what may have been the very best corned beef I have ever had. 87 points (and I'm not a big Zin drinker)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: D'Armailhac, Peyrau, Tower Estate , Beringer, Vignalta

by Jenise » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:30 pm

Those Vignaltas are nice. My favorite is the Gemola, a merlot/CF blend based on the wines of Pomerol which this winery's owner wanted to emulate in the Veneto. Good young, and ages beautifully. Have you had his California syrah? I never learned how he came to make that one, or if he made it more than once, but it still seems to be floating around. Personally I didn't care for it--fruit was too ripe, but those who aren't jam-averse like me seemed to love it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:49 pm

Jenise wrote:Those Vignaltas are nice. My favorite is the Gemola, a merlot/CF blend based on the wines of Pomerol which this winery's owner wanted to emulate in the Veneto. Good young, and ages beautifully. Have you had his California syrah? I never learned how he came to make that one, or if he made it more than once, but it still seems to be floating around. Personally I didn't care for it--fruit was too ripe, but those who aren't jam-averse like me seemed to love it.

The shop owner-a great little wine shop attached to an Italian restaurant on East Napa Street off the square in Sonoma town -mentioned another higher end blend from Vignalta that was mostly Cabernet.

I know they are using "International" grapes here, but this wine tasted very, very Italian to me. Maybe it's the tangyness, or the slight and interesting bitter note on the finish? It was not very expensive, either. Not too many $19 California Merlots that I would drink.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:18 pm

I still have a bottle (or perhaps two) of the Tower Estate Hunter Shiraz from 2000 - and from previous bottle, yes quite some quality evident (Dan Dineen winemaker, but was set up by Len Evans RIP so character expected). Also their 99 Coonawarra Cabernet is very fine as well.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:56 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:I still have a bottle (or perhaps two) of the Tower Estate Hunter Shiraz from 2000 - and from previous bottle, yes quite some quality evident (Dan Dineen winemaker, but was set up by Len Evans RIP so character expected). Also their 99 Coonawarra Cabernet is very fine as well.

regards

Ian

Thanks, Ian. What threw me is that the last bottle was a bit different-it tasted more like a lightish Northern Rhone! I liked both bottles for different reasons!

Luckily, I found a source for my other favorite Aussie Shiraz-Tim Adams Akerfeldy. Not that I can afford it right now, but...
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:45 pm

How on earth do you manage to find Tower Estate in the US?!
Good to see a note on their Shiraz. Really liked their wines (Shiraz & Semillons) when I sampled their stuff in the Hunter Valley recently.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:52 am

Salil Benegal wrote:How on earth do you manage to find Tower Estate in the US?!
Good to see a note on their Shiraz. Really liked their wines (Shiraz & Semillons) when I sampled their stuff in the Hunter Valley recently.

Simple Answer: The inimitable, unique, and really cool Daryl Corti, proprietor of a classic Sacramento grocery store that carries unique wines-lots of Cru Beaujolais, Burgundy, verticals of Corison Cabernet, etc. He is (in)famous for proclaiming that his store would no longer carry monster alcohol wines. :mrgreen:

He had a few bottles of 1994 Tyrell's Vat No. 1???? Semillion for sale as well.

Unfortunately, I am guessing there will be none left in the shop. He also had a 2001 Barossa from Tower as well.