The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Another long lazy lunch in summertime Sydney

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

Another long lazy lunch in summertime Sydney

by Mark Kogos » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:11 am

A lovely laid back Friday lunch again at one of our favourite BYO in Sydney, the Le Pelican. This was the second time we have used this venue for a Friday lunch in 6 months and the food is actually getting better not worse.

First up on what was a hot day Loius Roederer Brut 2002. A nice refreshing crisp style of bubbles. A sort of a palate cleanser, no great depth of flavours, just very drinkable .

Next up, a Tyrrell’s Vat 47 1997. With a deep amber hue, we all expected it to be shot. But no, remarkably it has retained its structure and with a good back end degree of acidity, it went well with the risotto. Toasted fruits of apricots and peaches, I would however definitely be drinking it all up if it was in my cellar.

At the other end of the chardy spectrum was the Vincent Girardin Vieilles Vignes Les Champs Gain 1er cru, Puligny-Montrachet 2005 . Still just a babe, it was a pale yellow with a touch of green to the eye. Dry but elegant wine, good balance, I would be interested to see what this does in another 5-7 years. There was just a hint of complexity breaking through at the back that suggests it will evolve into a very pleasant wine one day.

With the main course, a Clos du Marquis, St Julien 2000. Affected just a little by what was a very hot day, it is full-bodied, with velvety textured tannins. Just beginning to open up and enter its drinking window, I got dark currents, spice and a little licorice at the back. I will probably weight another 12 months before opening the next bottle.

Finally a Le Clos du Caillou Chateauneuf du Pape 1999. At this stage I was starting to flag after a big night the night before so my recollection of this wine is a tad jaded. Sweet, rich and layered, with a strong chocolatey character.

Talking of the night before, after a reasonably long meal, a group of friends had ended up at the very pleasant Apertif in X Cross where I ordered a 2007 Joh Jos Christoffel Erben Kabinett riesling before my good friends could complain. Another excellent German Mosel. 8.5% alcohol, light and refreshing with green apples, perfect finish to a rather dodgy Mexican meal. What was more pleasing was that after everyone got over their initial surprise at an off dry riesling style, they universally got stuck into it with great relish. Perfect finish to a great evening.
Last edited by Mark Kogos on Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

MichaelB

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Sierra southmost, California

Re: Another long lazy lunch in summertime Sydney

by MichaelB » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:51 am

I had to laugh at "before my good friends could complain," especiallly since there is some pretty decent Oz Riesling. But I live in California, where most Riesling has a justifiably horrible reputation, so I'm reduced to conning restaurant dinner companions with half-truths like "You'll love this Mosel (Alsatian, Finger Lakes, wherever) wine" without ever mentioning the grape variety. But when people taste the real deal, they mostly like it.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

Re: Another long lazy lunch in summertime Sydney

by Mark Kogos » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:15 am

Michael almost to a man, my friends went:
1 Oh It is German
2 Oh it is sweet (and then the killer)
3 This is yummy I think I will just have another top up.
:lol:
Miss dhem Saints.