The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 J & F Lurton Flor de Torrontés (Mendoza)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2007 J & F Lurton Flor de Torrontés (Mendoza)

by Paul B. » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:28 pm

$13.95 at Vintages. 13% alc./vol. Screwcap closure.

Pale, brassy-green light straw. Awesome, bright roses and passionfruit esters on the nose. I love this Torrontés grape; every single wine I've had from this variety has met with my most fervent approval. Bright and fresh on the entry with crisp but round, mellow acidity. Quite dry with more floral terpenes coming into play on the mid-palate. Big aromatic character; very floral and true to its name. It reminds me a lot of the aromatic profile of Catawba - sans the obvious muskiness of the latter. An excellent wine.

I resolved about two years ago to make it my policy to try every single Torrontés that ever comes through Vintages - a decision that was certainly worthwhile.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: 2007 J & F Lurton Flor de Torrontés (Mendoza)

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:07 am

Every single one I've tried has had a lovely nose but disappointing acidity, so I have a few lined up for a more comprehensive tasting, to be done whenever I can get around to it! But nice to know you didn't find the acidity lacking, though mellow seems a slightly suspect qualifier for acidity. :)
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.