The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A nice affordable pinot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

WTN: A nice affordable pinot

by Tom N. » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:55 pm

Medium ruby wine with a slight fade to orange red at the edge. Expressive nose of earth, mushrooms, cherries and a hint of cloves. Nice midpalate of spicy cherries, tangy tannins, and nice balancing acidity. Medium to long finish of cherries that turns to a slight bitterness as if you were tasting the cherry pits at the end. Nicely balanced and more burgundian than I expected.

With food:
Nice match with chicken schnitzel with melted Oka cheese with mushrooms. Also a good match with pork tenderloin and beet, spinach salad (see recipe I posted in Forum Kitchen). Perhaps the best match that seemed to enhance the earthiness of the wine was a simple tomato/basil/fresh mozzarella salad drizzeled with olive oil and a little salt and freshly ground pepper.

Wine: Errazuriz Pinot noir 2007 Wild Ferment, Casablanca Valley, Chile 14.5% abv. $19.95 CDN. I bought 3 bottles and have already opened two. I would buy it again.
Last edited by Tom N. on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

MichaelB

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Sierra southmost, California

Re: WTN: A nice affordable pinot

by MichaelB » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:23 am

Uh, "Whitehouse Valley"? Canada? Callifornia? Earth?
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:38 pm

MichaelB wrote:Uh, "Whitehouse Valley"? Canada? Callifornia? Earth?

Chile, in case you haven't bothered to do a little searching yet...

Oh yes, thanks for the note, Tom!
/A
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:57 pm

MichaelB wrote:Uh, "Whitehouse Valley"? Canada? Callifornia? Earth?

Sorry Michael, I forgot to include Chile in the description. I realized that after I made the post, but I will edit my post and include that for future reference.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:40 am

I wrote a tasting note on the 2006 last September and found it so well-rounded that I began to consider it the best Chilean pinot I have tried. Not saying much, but there you go. Under screwcap (hooray), this should age well for 5+ years.

So I'm storing two bottles to try in a couple of years. Glad to hear that the 2007 sounds good too. The Wild Ferment Chardonnay is also good.

Looks like I am going to Chile for the first time in September and hope to visit Errazuriz.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:43 pm

Sounds like this one escapes the curse that so many Chilean pinots I've had seem to have been struck by, a bitter streak, almost like the bitterness in some fruits, not quite grapefruity but somewhat like cactus fruit, and very different from the green thing I've had in some other Chilean reds like Carmenere.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:56 pm

Oswaldo, you told us earlier that Errázuriz makes 5 levels pf Pinot. It the "Wild Ferment" outside these 5?

BTW, on Thursday we will have a vertical tasting of Erràzuriz Pinot, probably (I'm not the arranger and do not know in detail which wines we will taste) mainly of the riserva, level 2, that I posted a note about some time last year. I will be most interesting to learn how they age.

Cheers,
Anders
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:14 pm

Anders Källberg wrote:Oswaldo, you told us earlier that Errázuriz makes 5 levels pf Pinot. It the "Wild Ferment" outside these 5?

That was Cono Sur...

Anders Källberg wrote:BTW, on Thursday we will have a vertical tasting of Erràzuriz Pinot, probably (I'm not the arranger and do not know in detail which wines we will taste) mainly of the riserva, level 2, that I posted a note about some time last year. I will be most interesting to learn how they age.

Sound fun, let us know!
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:45 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:
Anders Källberg wrote:Oswaldo, you told us earlier that Errázuriz makes 5 levels pf Pinot. It the "Wild Ferment" outside these 5?

That was Cono Sur...

Right, when I took my evening round to lock the house and check the temperature in the wine cellar, my eyes fell upon a bottle with the bicycle on the label and I realized that I had been confused... Sorry, must be getting old...

Anders Källberg wrote:BTW, on Thursday we will have a vertical tasting of Erràzuriz Pinot, probably (I'm not the arranger and do not know in detail which wines we will taste) mainly of the reserva, level 2, that I posted a note about some time last year. I will be most interesting to learn how they age.

Sound fun, let us know!

I'll try, but due to an upcoming journey, mostly to Tuscany, it might take some time.
/A