The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '02 Chablis, dead wine, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: '02 Chablis, dead wine, etc

by Dale Williams » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:05 pm

Before going to natural wine tasting Friday, I grilled some turkey burgers Betsy had put in freezer. Wine was the 2007 Leitz Rudesheimer Klosterlay Kab, about which I have written several positive notes. Nothing to add except it tastes even better at recent $12 sale price than it did at $15. :)

Saturday I was home alone, except for the dog and some flounder filet. I did the fish in a quasi-meuniere style, along with braised escarole and some storebought cheese tortellini. In a recent cellar shuffle I had discovered a forgotten bottle of 1989 Bernard Boisson-Vadot Meursault. This was part of a $60 "probably OTH" case, which had been about half drinkable (the 3 bottles of '94 Boillot Puligny alone were easily worth $20 each, so I ended up ok). Even without opening the color looked bad, nice cork, but the contents looked like tea and smelled like cheap sherry. Down the drain. Totally undrinkable.

Due to the color and age, I had brought up a backup, so the 2002 JM Brocard "Montmains" Chablis 1er was ready to go. And ready to go it was, a very tasty medium-bodied Chablis. Clean pure pear fruit with a little green apple, quite ripe but there is a nice backbone of acidity. Good length, nice finish, some notes of wet stones and new blossoms. But fruit still dominates (nicely). I quite enjoy, wish I had more. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: '02 Chablis, dead wine, etc

by Salil » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:20 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Before going to natural wine tasting Friday, I grilled some turkey burgers Betsy had put in freezer. Wine was the 2007 Leitz Rudesheimer Klosterlay Kab, about which I have written several positive notes. Nothing to add except it tastes even better at recent $12 sale price than it did at $15. :) 

Was this during the Zachy's sale, Dale? Cursing myself right now for missing it.

Sorry to hear about that Meursault. Have fun tonight at the dinner in NY!