The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Domaine Serene, Sineann

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

Domaine Serene, Sineann

by ChefJCarey » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:53 pm

Went to a pre-release party today for the 2006 Evanstad Reserve. It underwhelmed me. Seventy-five percent new oak. The 2006 "Two Barns" was terrific.

Oh, yeah and we tasted some 1990 Evanstad Reserve - their first release. It held up okay, except the first bottle she opened was corked.

All I went away with was the Two Barns and the 2005 "Seven Hills Vineyard" Rockblock Syrah, a wine of which I am also quite fond.

Stopped in for a tasting at Sineann, too. Peter always has about 20 wines to taste. I cut it down by skipping the white table and heading straight for the pinots and cabs. He sources many of his grapes from Champoux. The winners to me were all cabs. 2007 "Baby Poux," and "Baby Poux Reserve" and the winner of the day (although it was shut down) was the 2007 "Block One".Probably could put it down for a decade. This wine is a culling of the grapes from the Baby Pouxs. Made so few barrels I doubt it will ever reach a market where most can get it.

Not a bad day.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

Re: Domaine Serene, Sineann

by ChefJCarey » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:56 pm

Oops, meant this for the wine turf.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:17 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:Oops, meant this for the wine turf.

I'll fix it up for you. But first, 75% new oak on the Evanstadt? Not a good trend for what has been one of my favorite Oregonians.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:15 pm

Jenise wrote:
ChefJCarey wrote:Oops, meant this for the wine turf.

I'll fix it up for you. But first, 75% new oak on the Evanstadt? Not a good trend for what has been one of my favorite Oregonians.

I'm a little jumpy, too. First, the departure of Tony Rynders. Second, the incredible price leaps they are making. Like a local winemaker said to me, "They gotta pay for that temple."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:19 pm

ChefJCarey wrote: Like a local winemaker said to me, "They gotta pay for that temple."

They were so stinking rich to start with it's but a drop in the bucket, methinks, but they certainly lay themselves open to such comments by building what they did. Oh, and by having the snootiest tasting room in the PNW, too.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:17 am

Jenise wrote:
ChefJCarey wrote: Like a local winemaker said to me, "They gotta pay for that temple."

They were so stinking rich to start with it's but a drop in the bucket, methinks, but they certainly lay themselves open to such comments by building what they did. Oh, and by having the snootiest tasting room in the PNW, too.

Yep, that's probably so.

These folks on the other hand are the antithesis of that.

http://www.sineann.com/

Couldn't be nicer. And I love some of their wines. I tasted all the reds listed on their site this week - as well as a few that aren't listed. I've talked with Peter several times, this time I had a nice chat with Patrick (marketing guy).

Oh, yeah Serene had crackers with the tasting. Sineann (that's "shin-nay-ann") had a fine aged Vermont Cheddar and Humboldt Fog. Serene charged $20.00 a head for non-club-members. Sineann charged - nothing!
no avatar
User

Linda L

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:53 pm

McMinnville, Oregon

by Linda L » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:26 pm

Chef
Nice to see you like David and Peters wines, I think those guys have been doing great things. Now DS on the other hand... I guess personally it bothers me when I see pompous attitudes being portrayed around our valley. As thier marketing states "Taste Oregon's # 1 Pinot Noir" I hate marketing crap, that once you read through the text you realize it's mostly hype. As far as the "snootiest" tasting room, I can't tell you how often we will have tasters thank us for being so nice and friendly, unlike the "other" places they had visited. As our website says, what our building lacks in sophistication, we more than make up for with warm and knowledgable people... as it should be. Wine is and should not be a snob sport !
To carry this just a step further, then I will get off my soap box - Last weekend we were at Zippys for lunch and while I was thumbing through the latest Oregon Wine Press I noticed an advertisement that just made me laugh. Now, as I look around the world economy isn't so hot, and we have seen across the board folks are often choosing to drink differently, perhaps making more decisions with thier pocketbooks. SO, for JUST $ 40.00 per person we will share our 2004 library wines, provide a snack, and then we will ALLOW you to purchase no more than 2 bottles. WOW, how thoughtful huh ?
Anyway, I'll stop for now -
Checking her ego at the door !
Linda
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:50 pm

Linda, that ad you refer to--was that for Domaine Serene?
no avatar
User

Linda L

Rank

Wine geek

McMinnville, Oregon

by Linda L » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:59 pm

Not Serene Jenise, imagine there is more than one over inflated ego amongst us :-)
L
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:14 pm

Linda L wrote:Not Serene Jenise, imagine there is more than one over inflated ego amongst us :-)
L

No doubt there are, just wanted to be sure.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:21 pm

Nice to see you like David and Peters wines, I think those guys have been doing great things.

You make some pretty nifty wine yourself, Linda.

I'm going to try to get by next week. I have something for you. :)
no avatar
User

Linda L

Rank

Wine geek

McMinnville, Oregon

by Linda L » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:25 pm

Stop by anytime Chef, we still have some drinking to do !
L