The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Alsace white, Loire red

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Alsace white, Loire red

by Dale Williams » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:41 pm

With pasta with a lemon/spinach/mushroom cream sauce, the 2004 Trimbach Pinot Gris Reserve. Sweet Fuji apple and some pear, good acidity for PG, floral nose. Not very long, but pleasant and a good match with the food. B

With marinated and grilled skirt steak, beets, and cauliflower, the 2002 Charles Joguet "Les Petites Roches"Chinon. Pretty lovely and lively, juicy black cherry fruit with a little coffee and herbs. The green/herb notes are more like uncured tobacco leaf than vegetal, in any case they're in the background. Rich, tangy, tasty. Good mineral edge to the finish. I know this isn't one of Joguet's flagship bottlings, but this is in a very good place right now. B++

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Alsace white, Loire red

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:02 pm

Joguet does well across the range IMO.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:42 am

That Loire sounds really delicious. I need to try some Joguet soon.
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:52 am

The trouble I have with Chinons is keeping my hands off them. They taste so good young I seldom find out what they are like at their best. Maybe the solution is to buy so many I can't drink them all.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:19 am

And from my experience 2002 was such a great year for Loire red wines. Almost seems like a different era before the monstrosities of 03, 05, and 06. It had ripeness and great detail and freshness. Good proportions. Like 2001 for German riesling.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:54 pm

I poked into Kermit Lynch on Thursday (had taken the day off to do a "City Hike" with my old doggies) and saw he carries several Joguets. This sounds like a producer to try.

Alas, though...no more 2006 Foillard Morgon Cote-de-Py in the shop. I think Terroir has a few bottles.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach