The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1986 Château Chasse-Spleen

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

WTN: 1986 Château Chasse-Spleen

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:12 am

Delicious, full, lovely red fruit, nice acidity, and integrated tannins. Hard to believe that when this wine was made, my daughter was a delightful, cute, adorable infant in arms. I think she's matured as well as this wine. :)

The Keeper of the Cellar reports that this was our last bottle.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 1986 Château Chasse-Spleen

by Jenise » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:51 pm

Great wine, we had three or four bottles that matured a little faster than most of our other 86's, and so they've been the ones that bit the dust on anniversaries. Our bottles had a very sweet floral nose that was quite captivating.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:41 pm

Jenise wrote:Great wine, we had three or four bottles that matured a little faster than most of our other 86's, and so they've been the ones that bit the dust on anniversaries. Our bottles had a very sweet floral nose that was quite captivating.

Do you remember me mentioning this wine? I ordered it with dinner at Daniel in New York at least ten years ago. Lynn always insists I keep wines below $100 in restaurants; she's a Taurus and frugal, except when she buys clothes, the usual reason we are in The City. But in a restaurant where other folks are spending thousands on wine, I admit to being a bit sheepish about economizing. I espied a 1986 Chasse Spleen at $109 (close enough). When I tasted it, I bet that it was a lot better then many of the bottles around me at other tables. We loved it. I remember it to be a classic Bordeaux.

I'm sure that you, Cynthia, and just about everybody knows whence the name. It can't be discounted in the overall appeal of this great wine.
no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Louisville, KY

by Bob Hower » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:59 pm

I'm sure that you, Cynthia, and just about everybody knows whence the name.

I confess...please tell me
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:45 pm

Bob Hower wrote:
I'm sure that you, Cynthia, and just about everybody knows whence the name.

I confess...please tell me

The Moulis property was originally named Grand-Poujeaux. Lord Byron, suffering from frequent bouts of depression, which you might forgive anyone dating his sister, supposedly made the comment upon a visit to the estate that the wonderful wine elevated his mood: a "remède pour chasser le spleen". The owner was impressed and imortalized the romance of it all.
no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Louisville, KY

by Bob Hower » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:03 pm

as in: chase d'em blues away? Nice. Better than being mistaken for a Peugeot...not that there's anything wrong with a Peugeot mind you.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:41 pm

there's a competing theory that Baudelaire made a similar comment, or that Redon (who owned a property nearby) made such a comment to Baudelaire (who had multiple references to spleen in some poems)
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:52 pm

Bob Hower wrote:as in: chase d'em blues away? Nice. Better than being mistaken for a Peugeot...not that there's anything wrong with a Peugeot mind you.

Exactly. Isn't that beautiful? Dale is right that there are competing explanations. But only one has the magic; so, like believing in Santa, who's to argue. :)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:58 pm

Covert wrote:But only one has the magic; so, like believing in Santa, who's to argue. :)

So Byron is more magical because he's English? :)

I kinda doubt both bad boy poet tales, but the Byron seems even more likely to be a tale of marketing rather than magic. There's no mention of the Byron story till decades after his death, I'd bet on it as a marketing tool, as the English were the big market in late 19th century. :)