The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 2 Charles Joguet Chinon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

TN: 2 Charles Joguet Chinon

by geo t. » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:26 am

These were enjoyed during our annual Toledo festivities on the last weekend of February.

1999 Charles Joguet Chinon Cuvée du Clos de la Dioterie Vieilles Vignes, 1.5 L, 11 - 14% alc.: With all the other great things being poured on this evening, this may have been my wine of the night; it certainly stands out in my memory as much as any of the others. Dark garnet color, with earthy, smoky, leathery plum and mahogany on the nose, followed by plenty more of the same on the palate. Medium full bodied, with very good structure and length. It’s in a very nice place right now, but these have a fine track record for extended aging, so we’ll hold on to our other two magnums for at least a few years.

1990 Charles Joguet Chinon Clos du Chene Vert: Earthy underbrush and herbaceousness dominate the leathery beetroot flavors and aromas in a good way; medium full to full bodied, and still well structured for many years in the cellar. We’ve never met a Joguet Chinon we didn’t like.

~from We Will Always Have Toledo: Year 10!!!

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.
Last edited by geo t. on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN: 2 Charles Joguet Chinon

by Jenise » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:43 pm

I love Joguet's cab francs. Unfortunately, I sent my last Dioterie to it's death last year at a tasting that was geographically right but totally wrong in concept: Loire chenins and cab francs. Such are the illustrious chenins that no cab franc has a chance of looking good or being welcome after seven or eight of the others. Do not try this at home, kids!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:12 pm

I am puzzled by 11-14% alc. on the Dioterie 99; 14% would be very unusual for Chinon especially in an often dilute year like 99; I hope that this does not imply natural 11% lifted to 14% by chaptalisation. It sounds excellent though. The magnums probably help.

Some claim that Joguet went through a bad patch in the mid-90s though I am more than satisfied with my 95s and 96s. At a recent tasting I asked Jacques Genet, the new commercial manager, about this and he replied that the problem mainly concerned their 1997 vintage, a warm year, where they underperformed compared with a lot of other estates.

At a vertical a couple of years ago, Dioterie and Chêne Vert were showing brilliantly in an understated elegant style from some 80s vintages.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:41 pm

Tim,
I think it sounds like a pre-printed label, just gave the range of possible ABV.

I was debating what to have with my skirt steak tonight, a '02 Les Petites Roches it is!
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:41 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the notes. I need some Chinon Mags ... way to go.

J
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:07 am

Jenise wrote:I love Joguet's cab francs. Unfortunately, I sent my last Dioterie to it's death last year at a tasting that was geographically right but totally wrong in concept: Loire chenins and cab francs. Such are the illustrious chenins that no cab franc has a chance of looking good or being welcome after seven or eight of the others. Do not try this at home, kids!

You have my sympathies, dear lady. Come on over and I'll open the last '97 Clos de la Dioterie just for you.

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :D
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:12 am

Tim York wrote:I am puzzled by 11-14% alc. on the Dioterie 99; 14% would be very unusual for Chinon especially in an often dilute year like 99; I hope that this does not imply natural 11% lifted to 14% by chaptalisation. It sounds excellent though. The magnums probably help.

Some claim that Joguet went through a bad patch in the mid-90s though I am more than satisfied with my 95s and 96s. At a recent tasting I asked Jacques Genet, the new commercial manager, about this and he replied that the problem mainly concerned their 1997 vintage, a warm year, where they underperformed compared with a lot of other estates.

At a vertical a couple of years ago, Dioterie and Chêne Vert were showing brilliantly in an understated elegant style from some 80s vintages.

Actually, we rather like the '97 Clos de la Dioterie. And yes, the 11-14% alc. is a preprinted label that is not at all unusual for Kermit Lynch wines.

Cheers,

geo
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:13 am

Dale Williams wrote:Tim,
I think it sounds like a pre-printed label, just gave the range of possible ABV.

I was debating what to have with my skirt steak tonight, a '02 Les Petites Roches it is!

Brilliant choice!

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :wink:
Nunquam Spuemus