The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Domaine Tempier Bandol Cuvee Speciale La Migoua

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

WTN: 2000 Domaine Tempier Bandol Cuvee Speciale La Migoua

by ClarkDGigHbr » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:06 am

Tonight I opened my one and only bottle of 2000 Domaine Tempier Bandol Cuvee Speciale La Migoua after cellaring it for almost 6 years. WOW … what a beautiful wine: full rich aroma, dark and lovely, deep cassis, a bit gamey and smoky, mocha, nice tannin and finish. It went great with broiled lamb chops.

I have two bottles of undesignated 2000 Domaine Tempier Bandol in my collection. I think I will hold off another year before opening one of them, unless I hear from some of you with firsthand data to the contrary.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2000 Domaine Tempier Bandol Cuvee Speciale La Migoua

by David M. Bueker » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:52 am

Thanks for the note. I really enjoy Tempier, but sadly do not buy much of it. There's still two bottles of 1994 in the cellar (Migoua and Tourtine), but little else.

The regular is normally ready to go sooner than the special cuvees, so I might peek in on one of your other bottles if I were you.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:10 am

Some of the best bottles which I have opened recently have been Bandol. I'm about to post on another.
Tim York
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:24 am

Never have met a Tempier I didn't like. A lot!

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :D
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:26 pm

What is wrong with us--we who love these wines but never buy them? I have exactly two in my cellar, which I was ruing last weekend upon having a '93 La Bastide Blanch Longue Garde--my was it good, and that wasn't even a supposedly 'great' year.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:34 pm

I, too, recently had a '93 La Bastide Blanche longue Garde that was very good. I hope that my couple of bottles of Tempier from the same year would at least be as good.
Ramon Cabrera
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:36 pm

I don't have a lot of local access (and in this climate I am not doing much internet ordering and zero pre-arrival ordering), and I have too busy buying Riesling and Burgundy.

I just recently started buying Northern Rhones again. I havent gotten back to Bandol yet.

For a long time I wanted to focus, and I ended up with a collection that generally satisfies my needs. But there are times when I want something different, and the last 5 years of very focused buying has screwed that up.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:41 pm

In the case of Tempier, at least, the answer for me is price, price, price. After having many a splendid Bandol from them back in the '80s and '90s, I've watched the prices skyrocket. When I decide to shell out $100/bottle for a wine, I'm afraid that Bandol isn't my first, second or even third choice, especially when the wines from La Tour du Bon, Terrebrune and Gros Noré are still, comparatively, reasonably priced.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:08 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:In the case of Tempier, at least, the answer for me is price, price, price. After having many a splendid Bandol from them back in the '80s and '90s, I've watched the prices skyrocket. When I decide to shell out $100/bottle for a wine, I'm afraid that Bandol isn't my first, second or even third choice, especially when the wines from La Tour du Bon, Terrebrune and Gros Noré are still, comparatively, reasonably priced.

Mark Lipton

Tempier at $100!? Migoua and Tourtine 05 are on offer here for €29 and Cabassou for €43, which is the price for good Châteauneuf du Pape. I think that these Bandols are well up to that level; indeed I'm not sure that I don't prefer them.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:11 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:... in this climate I am not doing much internet ordering and zero pre-arrival ordering...

Why David, don't you know Connecticut has the perfect climate for shipping wines?! :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:13 pm

Seriously, the 2000 vintage was more of an earliar maturing one, at least from the non-Tempier bottles I've tried. With Tempier, the saying 'drink-and-hold' applies.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Money is a language that transcends nationality

by Mark Lipton » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:39 pm

Tim York wrote:
Tempier at $100!? Migoua and Tourtine 05 are on offer here for €29 and Cabassou for €43, which is the price for good Châteauneuf du Pape. I think that these Bandols are well up to that level; indeed I'm not sure that I don't prefer them.

Current prices in the US:
'05 Migoua $60
'05 Tourtine $60
'05 Cabassou $90

I agree with you about the top Chateauneuf comparison. I've also had to cut back on buying those. Here's why:

'05 Beaucastel $85-90
'05 Pegau $80
'05 Vieux Telegraphe $60-75
'05 Clos des Papes $120

Much of this, of course, is attributable to the sorry state of the exchange rate over the past 2-3 years as well as the championing of Chateauneuf by Parker, and the situation may be changing soon. However, when I can buy quality wines from the Loire for a fraction of what these wines now command, it's hard to justify significant purchases of these wines.

Mark Lipton
(Don't even ask me about Burgundy)
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:01 pm

Had this one at our annual Toledo gathering weekend before last:

1998 Domaine Tempier Bandol La Tourtine: Classic Tempier that’s in a very good drinking window right now, but with plenty of years left it. Kim described “huge mint,” and of course there’s the requisite earth, leather, black currant and beetroot character, all on a full bodied, well structured frame.

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :mrgreen:
Nunquam Spuemus