The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

wtn: clos baudoin vouvray moelleux 1990

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

wtn: clos baudoin vouvray moelleux 1990

by David Z » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:05 am

Interesting story behind this bottle. I bought it at lavinia in paris about five years ago. It sat out in sun and heat before I got a fridge for three years. Ithought it would be cooked.
Not so. Light gold. Amazingly intense mix of mostly ruby grapefruit with some lemon. A hint perhps of caramel. Varietally characteristic green tea note but its subtle. Mint and a touch of cardmom. Very sweet, lots of glycerin, but vibrantly acidic.
Despite the rough storage this had no seepage and a clean cork pull.
Outstanding. Better than a 97 huet I had over xmas.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: wtn: clos baudoin vouvray moelleux 1990

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:23 am

Chenin rocks!
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

by David Z » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:04 am

I snuck back this morning for a nip (you know a wine is good when it motivates you to 8AM tasting).

What's most remarkable about this wine is the acidity. It's positively racy- speaking as an eiswein fan, this is closer to eiswein riesling than, say, a Sauternes.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:28 am

Chenin does rock (and is maybe more resilient than some other varieties). I've had mixed luck with the Poniatowski wines, this sounds lovely. It'll be interesting to see what Chidaine does with the estate.
Glad to hear the acidity is good in the '90. I have a Foureau moulleux from '90 to try soon.
Thanks for notes
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

by David Z » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:35 am

That's funny, I have a 1990 Foreau moelleux waiting in my fridge, too. There was a bunch of them available in metro NY a couple of years back for a reasonable price...

Dale Williams wrote:Chenin does rock (and is maybe more resilient than some other varieties). I've had mixed luck with the Poniatowski wines, this sounds lovely. It'll be interesting to see what Chidaine does with the estate.
Glad to hear the acidity is good in the '90. I have a Foureau moulleux from '90 to try soon.
Thanks for notes
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:35 pm

David Z wrote:Outstanding. Better than a 97 huet I had over xmas.

Interesting. Maybe the Huet was in a strange stage or just off. I have had a few of these Clos Baudoin wines from this era and they always struck me as average and competent but nothing special and nothing inspired, unlike Huet. Of course now that the Clos Baudoin vines are in better hands they should be producing better wines.
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

by David Z » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:21 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
David Z wrote:Outstanding. Better than a 97 huet I had over xmas.

Interesting. Maybe the Huet was in a strange stage or just off. I have had a few of these Clos Baudoin wines from this era and they always struck me as average and competent but nothing special and nothing inspired, unlike Huet. Of course now that the Clos Baudoin vines are in better hands they should be producing better wines.

The Huet had much less acidity and much more..I don't want to say botrytis, b/c I don't think it was rot, but more of those botrytis-like flavors.
It also had a much stronger green tea/straw chenin note, and I'm personally not a fan of that.

This was also precisely at peak...it's lasted for 3 days in the fridge, gradually growing a little more oxidative. But it's still nice today.