The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

what do I have?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christine Cross

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:52 am

Caesarea, Israel

what do I have?

by Christine Cross » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:45 pm

Asked a friend coming through duty free to pick us up a bottle of Veuve Clicquot since it's so expensive here. What he brought back was $35 more that we were expecting, and is called Veuve Clicquot Cuvee Edouard Werle. From reading The Widow Clicquot (an excellent book!) I know that ol' Eddie was the widow's business partner and successor, but what does that mean for my bottle of champagne?
"One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating." -Luciano Pavarotti
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: what do I have?

by Paul Winalski » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:44 pm

Very strange. The only Google hits for Veuve Clicquot Cuvee Edouard Werle are from duty-free shops in Australia. Unfortunately, they don't show a picture of the bottle (it comes with a yellow Clicquot wine bottle jacket and that's what they show) and doesn't describe what it is. It's not mentioned on the Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin website. I don't recall seeing it when I toured the Clicquot cellars back in 2000.

From the price it would seem to be a special cuvee of some sort, although not at the level of La Grande Dame. Maybe it's something they do only for the Australian export market?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:52 pm

To the best of my knowledge, not only for the Australian market but exclusively for the Australian duty-free market.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:44 pm

I picked up some Veuve Clicquot Rose when I went through duty free at Christmas but do not recall seeing this version. As I expect to be travelling again soon, I will keep an eye out for it.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Christine Cross

Rank

Wine geek

Caesarea, Israel

by Christine Cross » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:28 am

This was bought in Duty-Free in Atlanta, GA. The mystery continues - I guess we will just have to come up with an excuse to drink it to find out if it was worth the extra $$ :D
"One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating." -Luciano Pavarotti
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:59 am

It comes with its own built in ice bucket, all for $A75.
http://www.firstdutyfree.com.au/categor ... uard-werle
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Christine Cross

Rank

Wine geek

Caesarea, Israel

by Christine Cross » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:12 am

yep, that's it! How he bought it in Altanta I have no idea. I'll try and remember to come back and report on it when we find an excuse to drink it :D