The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobut RieslingKabinett 2007

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

WTN: Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobut RieslingKabinett 2007

by Mark Kogos » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:41 pm

Last summer I decided it was time again to try and develop a deeper understanding of German and Austrian rieslings. Last time around they came in blue and black bottles. Anyhow when I look back over my TNs for the past year, I see I have tried far more than I had drunk in the preceding 10 years. I have also taken to reading a bit more on them. Willi Schaefer was one name that keeps popping up as something of a "cult" wine well worth tracking down.

So the Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobut Riesling Kabinett 2007 is the first of Willi's wines to come my way. Essentially an entry point example, I am starting to see why people get so passionate over the German rieslings. By all counts 2007 is a very good year. First up, the colour is a very pale yellow thou with more depth of colour than a comparable high end Aus example. On the nose I got honeysuckle and limes, definitely sweet rich tones. At this point it is worth noting we paired the wine with a couple of soft French cheeses at the beginning of the evening, one of which was a blue. As a pairing this was a superb match. On tasting the wine, the phrase that came to mind was one of a lovely lightness of being wrapped around a great line and length. A more elegant off dry style ofwine than many of the Australian examples I have been enjoying over summer, I found green apples, limes (again) and tropical fruit. The latter reminding me of the banana passionfruit my grandmother used to grow. It is fair to say it was a huge success with everyone at dinner when paired with the cheese
Last edited by Mark Kogos on Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobut Riesling Kabinett 200

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:44 am

Mark,

I'm very glad you enjoyed Willi Schaefer's wine. He's one of the top producers in the Mosel, and it's always worth buying/drinking when you see the wines available.

Your comment about lovely lightness of being wrapped around a great line and length is something emblematic of great kabinett. The wine sacrifices nothing in terms of flavor while remaining ethereally light on the palate.

The one thing I will comment on is your statement of essentially an entry point example. If there is one thing I wish I could regarding the classification of German Riesling it is to wipe away the idea that kabinett is the entry level wine. Kabinett is a distinct style (a style in peril by the way - global warming making it very hard to produce such wines), while Spatlese is a different style, as is Auslese and so on. Kabinett is light in alcohol, rich in flavor, refreshing and easy to drink. At least that's what it's supposed to be.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:06 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Kabinett is light in alcohol, rich in flavor, refreshing and easy to drink. At least that's what it's supposed to be.

Add to that the ageworthyness of good Kabinetts. Willy Schaefer's Kabinetts (and his 07s for sure) are prime examples of "light" wines that can develop well over 10+ years.

Peter
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:22 am

Indeed they can. I'm still cellaring some 1997 and 1999.
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:21 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Indeed they can. I'm still cellaring some 1997 and 1999.

the 97 was just loveley the other day. on a plateau, I think.

Peter
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:14 am

I read subject line and thought "those wines can REALLY age!" :)

Is there only one Graacher Domprobst Kab? Have a couple bottles but haven't tried yet.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:24 am

There's a couple of AP numbers.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:22 pm

Mine seem to be #16
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:25 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:

The one thing I will comment on is your statement of essentially an entry point example. If there is one thing I wish I could regarding the classification of German Riesling it is to wipe away the idea that kabinett is the entry level wine. Kabinett is a distinct style (a style in peril by the way - global warming making it very hard to produce such wines), while Spatlese is a different style, as is Auslese and so on. Kabinett is light in alcohol, rich in flavor, refreshing and easy to drink. At least that's what it's supposed to be.

David

Your comment is quite correct. Given how dry the Australian style generally is, I have found the Kabinetts more accessable as I experiment more with German rieslings. Entry point was more of a reference to price than quality given the Kabinett was cheaper than the Auselese and Spatlese rieslings that I also purchased at the same time as part of a mixed Willi dozen. Returning the wine in question, I was fascinated by how it could be both light and yet rich in flavour at the same time.
Cheers
Mark
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:50 am

Mark,

Very well done buying a mixed case of Schaefer.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:03 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Mark,

Very well done buying a mixed case of Schaefer.

Actually I figured since it takes a while for these wines to come on, I also picked up mixed cases of Schloss Lieser, Reinhard Knebel and Reinhold Haart. That way by the time I really do start to understand the stuff, I will have some maturing nicely down in the cellar. In terms of what to pair them with, I have been thinking up a dish involving fois gras and scallops to have with the Spatlese and a nice fig tart with the auslese.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:50 am

For pairing with spatlese I braise pork shoulder in a mixture of hoisin sauce, sake, chili sauce & chicken broth. Yum!
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:24 am

David M. Bueker wrote:For pairing with spatlese I braise pork shoulder in a mixture of hoisin sauce, sake, chili sauce & chicken broth. Yum!
David that sounds interesting. Could you expand the amounts and procedure just a little more. Bar the saki we have all the other ingredents. I assume you could do it as a slow cook on 150C for 4 hours or so. What is your preferred timing?
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:23 am

Mark - the actual recipe is right here: braised pork shoulder
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:38 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Mark - the actual recipe is right here: braised pork shoulder

many thanks. i like pork dishes and will give it a try.
cheers
mark
Miss dhem Saints.