The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Pigs fly

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Pigs fly

by Florida Jim » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:58 am

I would never have guessed:

2007 Castle Rock, Pinot Noir Mendocino County:
13.8% alcohol and about $12. A young, well-made, balanced pinot noir that is not only varietally correct but also of its place; it has that crackling black fruit scent and flavor I associate with the Anderson Valley and Mendocino; very light touches of milk chocolate and spice; this is clean, ripe, graceful, distinctive and will likely last several years in the cellar. In weight and texture this reminds a little of a village Chambolle from a good producer.

2006 Moon Mountain, Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma County:
13.9% alcohol and about $19. A young, very pure Bordeaux blend that smells and tastes like it has never seen oak. However, it has 18 months in barrel, 20% French, 80% American and 30% new – which proves to me that a good winemaker knows how to use barrels without over-using them. It’s intense, concentrated, varietally correct, has some complexity, good depth and substantial grip. I think its structure requires five years or so in the cellar to resolve but I am semi-shocked to find this exceptional a cabernet from CA.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

Re: Pigs fly

by Keith M » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:28 pm

What a fantastic title for a post. I felt like I knew what the post was going to be about before I even read it--and it pretty much held true. Nice!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:43 pm

Thanks for notes. The Moon Mtn sounds like something to look for. I haven't tried the Castle Rock PN in a few vintages. I used to think it a very good value when it first appeared in my market (maybe 2001 or 2002 vintages?). Then they started bottling about 5 different appellations, and I had very varied luck with them. Haven't tried in a while, but will look for '07 Mendocino
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:29 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Thanks for notes. The Moon Mtn sounds like something to look for. I haven't tried the Castle Rock PN in a few vintages. I used to think it a very good value when it first appeared in my market (maybe 2001 or 2002 vintages?). Then they started bottling about 5 different appellations, and I had very varied luck with them. Haven't tried in a while, but will look for '07 Mendocino

The website reveals that the Mendocino is 20% syrah. Still, it tastes like pinot so who cares.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:34 pm

Fun thread. I have a Castle Rock P Sirah lined up for the Open Mike currently running on main forum here. Will look for the other wine mentioned.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:46 pm

Pretty hard to disagree with the proposition that most of the Castle Rock bottlings, regarless of varietal, provide pretty awesome value. I have thought their Chard quite good. And at least in terms of the technological possibility, no reason pigs couldn't fly. Like humans.

If all one wants to do is to have wine as a beverage, then Castle Rock would be a great choice a good percentage of the time.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

CMMiller

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri May 19, 2006 8:22 pm

California

by CMMiller » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:19 am

Florida Jim wrote:The website reveals that the Mendocino is 20% syrah. Still, it tastes like pinot so who cares.
Best, Jim

Par for the course for $12 Pinot Noir, I would say. Although with the Pinot Noir boom, there are now people planting it in the Central Valley again. You can only hope those will be least 20% Syrah. >:^)
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:35 am

Florida Jim wrote:
Dale Williams wrote:Thanks for notes. The Moon Mtn sounds like something to look for. I haven't tried the Castle Rock PN in a few vintages. I used to think it a very good value when it first appeared in my market (maybe 2001 or 2002 vintages?). Then they started bottling about 5 different appellations, and I had very varied luck with them. Haven't tried in a while, but will look for '07 Mendocino

The website reveals that the Mendocino is 20% syrah. Still, it tastes like pinot so who cares.
Best, Jim

Not too uncommon nowadays. Syrah is cheaper than PN, and it adds a valuable componet to those who don't understand PN: deeper color.

An awful lot of people won't pick PN, or consider it to be worthwhile, simply because it doesn't have as much color saturation---it's light and it's red, not dark and purple. And as the Burgundians have had occasion to know, adding Syrah to PN can work out quite well. :twisted:
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:10 pm

I've thought Castle Rock to be a good inexpensive Pinot. Haven't tried it for a while but will look for the Mendocino one.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:23 pm

Nice notes and a QPR winner to boot. This only issue for me is if I can get these wines locally, DC or MD, with MD preferred so I don't have to schlep them home on the subway.
no avatar
User

CMMiller

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri May 19, 2006 8:22 pm

California

by CMMiller » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:13 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:Nice notes and a QPR winner to boot. This only issue for me is if I can get these wines locally, DC or MD, with MD preferred so I don't have to schlep them home on the subway.

One of the mysteries of distribution in this country is how few of the genuine values from California (in particular those made by small-medium sized producers) make it to the East Coast. My Dad in NYC is always asking me what he should look out for in the $10-12 range, I'll rattle off a dozen names, and he rarely can find any of them.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:26 pm

Jon,
Have you looked for Castle Rock in the grocery stores?
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:17 pm

JC (NC) wrote:Jon, Have you looked for Castle Rock in the grocery stores?

JC - The grocery stores in my neck of the woods do not carry wine, or beer for that metter. As a metter of facxt, one town I drive through on my daily commute (Damascus, MD) is completely dry.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:19 pm

CMMiller wrote:One of the mysteries of distribution in this country is how few of the genuine values from California (in particular those made by small-medium sized producers) make it to the East Coast.

This is too true, CM, too true. There's also some wine that I can get that my brother, who lives in San Francisco, cannot! Go figure.
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:52 pm

Picked up a half box of the Moon Mountain and popped one this afternoon and your notes are right on Jim. Very nice cab that I'm gonna purchase more of and lay some down. Lot's of drying, fine grained tannins now that I think will subside with a few years. Very nice cab for the $.

Drew