The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Italian wine for the Chaine des Rotisseurs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Italian wine for the Chaine des Rotisseurs

by Jay Labrador » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:29 am

Last night I was tasked to help choose wines for the forthcoming Chaine des Rotisseurs Induction dinner. As the them of the dinner is "Imperial Rome" all the wines tasted were Italian. Here are notes from that tasting.

Villa Teresa Prosecco Brut NV - Friendly and easy with lots of fruit and surprising depth. A very good sparkler to start.

Giustiniana Gavi di Gavi 2007 - Very clean with lots of acidity for freshness. Good fruit as well. The acidity made it a surprisingly good match for the veal and mushroom salad which had some vinegar in the dressing.

Mastroberardino Taurasi Fiano di Avellino 2007 - Light gold, almost overripe fruit aroma and flavor. Smoky and rich. Very good with the seafood fricassee.

Conte Loredan Gasparini Falconera 2005 - A red IGT. Unfortunately I was unable to note the region. Chocolate/caramel on the nose. Soft, dried fruit. A little hollow. Not too interesting.

Mastroberardino Aglianico 2005 - Quite light in color. Very fruity strawberry nose and flavor. Some green, herbal notes on the nose as well. A bit tannic. A very friendly wine if the tannins were a bit less. Maybe a little more time in the bottle would improve this. A good wine but not enough stuffing to handle the food.

Pietrafocaia Toscana Rosso 1995 - Quite dark, youthful looking. Tobacco on the nose. Beautiful sweet fruit. A little earthy. Complex and well balanced. Soft and at peak now. A perfect match for the lamb in saffron sauce.

Dievole Novecento Chianti Classico Riserva 2003 - Quite fruity with bright acidity. Still tannic. Concentrated wine that needs time to open up.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.