The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Gaillac, Piedmont, Sicily, Bdx, Rhone

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Gaillac, Piedmont, Sicily, Bdx, Rhone

by Dale Williams » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:33 pm

A friend came over to pick up from a shared purchase, he likes unusual stuff so I opened a cheapie, the 2006 Clement Termes "Blanc Perle" (Gaillac). Unusual bottle shape (has a bit of indented waist down low), I think this is actually 700 ml, though I don't see on bottle. Unsure of grape- ugni blanc? Light, ok acidity, apples and a little saline note. Lacks a bit of concentration, shorter finish. This was sold as a great value, happy to try it, but not buying again, for a dollar or two more I can get the Pepiere Muscadet which scratches my itch better. I've liked a red Gaillac better. B-/C+

Dinner was a chicken pot pie, with a half bottle of 2005 Les Trois Croix (Fronsac). Very modern, rich, some vanilla and cocoa, solid black plum fruit, lush, low acids. Not a ton of complexity or typicity, but a fun little Merlot. B

Friday I made a pizza with sausage and fresh mozzarella, wines was the 2004 Feudo Montoni Nero d'Avola. As always, a solid and tasty wine. Clean straightforward dark berry fruit, a little hint of coffee, earthy. Very good acidity for Sicily. Has anyone had the Vrucara from this producer? See at CSW, would like to see what a upscale version of NdA from this producer is like. For the regular, B+

So Saturday Betsy was still in Boston for premiere of a piece she co-composed, the dog was getting bored with me. So sent out a last minute dinner invitation and got a few friends over (and a dog friend for Lucy). All the humans were male, so did a basic guy thing- mixed grill (marinated london broil, lamb chops, sausage), grilled potatoes, grilled squash. Plus a salad and some asparagus Jim brought along. A red crowd, so:

1989 Ch. Lanessan (Haut Medoc)
Fully mature, maybe sliding a little, but a nice old-fashioned claret. Cedar and earth more prominent than the plum and blackcurrant fruit, but it's not fruitless or austere. Tannins are pretty much gone, gentle mouthfeel, not especially long but a nice lighter styled Bordeaux. B/B+

2001 Ogier "La Rosine" (Vin du Pays Collines Rhodaniennes)
This has aged quite nicely for a $13 bottle! Blackberries and a nice Northern Rhone bacon note, not very big but lots of life and interest. Peppery, spicy, that meaty note. Not the strength of a Hermitage or Cote Rotie, but a great food wine that is holding well. Not in a hurry to drink my remaining 2, but no need to wait. B+

1999 Sella "Omaggio a Quintino Sella" Lessona
Uh oh. Infanticide. This is somewhat tense and coiled, but there seems to be an excellent wine in there. Dense macerated cherry fruit, flowers, cedar lie beneath. Very firm tannins, bright acids, this really needs some time. B- for drinking now, but this is a wine I'm guessing can move to the A level for my tastes. Unfortunately, my lone bottle. Will see how remainder drinks tonight.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Re: WTN: Gaillac, Piedmont, Sicily, Bdx, Rhone

by Dale Williams » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:21 am

Dale Williams wrote:1999 Sella "Omaggio a Quintino Sella" Lessona
Uh oh. Infanticide. This is somewhat tense and coiled, but there seems to be an excellent wine in there. Dense macerated cherry fruit, flowers, cedar lie beneath. Very firm tannins, bright acids, this really needs some time. B- for drinking now, but this is a wine I'm guessing can move to the A level for my tastes. Unfortunately, my lone bottle. Will see how remainder drinks tonight. 

So retasted on SUnday night, deep red fruit, less tannic, more expressive. There's a kind of ferric minerality on the finish. Some light caramelly oxidative notes are just beginning, Will try to find more of this, think with another 5 years bottle aging this could be kind of special.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: Vrucara

by Mark S » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:10 am

Dale Williams wrote: Has anyone had the Vrucara from this producer? See at CSW, would like to see what a upscale version of NdA from this producer is like. For the regular, B+

Dale, I wrote a note about this within the last 2 months here (Disorder too), and it pretty much echoed yours. Oliver, who imports this on the West Coast, thouht my pedestrian review of it could have been from a damaged bottle. To me, it was a nice bottle, but not for the going tariff of $30+. In some ways, it reminded me of mondeuse or Val d'Aosta syrah.

Best,

mark
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:55 pm

Dale Williams wrote:2006 Clement Termes "Blanc Perle" (Gaillac). This was sold as a great value, happy to try it, but not buying again, for a dollar or two more I can get the Pepiere Muscadet which scratches my itch better. 

That is the big drawback for drinking Gaillac outside of the region. It doesn't seem to stand up to competition/comparison very well. But, I think producers in Muscadet like Ollivier have a headstart on Gaillac for working seriously and with higher quality in mind. So who knows, in the upcoming years we may start to see a more competitive product coming out of Gaillac.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:27 pm

Mark,
I actually did a search, but must have misspelled Vrucara. Thanks for pointer.

Rahsaan
I went into this wanting to like this wine. I liked a red, I liked a mystery set in Gaillac's wine world (by Peter May, but I don't think the one who posts here), reccomended by I think CSW, and I always root for underdog. But even in under $10 market all wine is in fact competitive.