The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Domaine de Trevallon Tasting (1986-2005)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Domaine de Trevallon Tasting (1986-2005)

by David M. Bueker » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:42 pm

I had always wanted to taste the wines of Domaine de Trevallon. One of the guys in my tasting group did an entire evening of the wines, but there was a catch - it was blind & we had no idea we were tasting Trevallon.

The evening started with the Pol Roger I reported on elsewhere.

We were then served the 2006 Domaine de Trevallon Blanc blind. It was very cold & thus rather inexpressive, except for some oak. Later on, as it warmed, it took on some character of those skin-contact whites. I really liked the palate depth and richness once it warmed. Delicious wine - too bad about the price.

Then it was on to 8 vintages of the Trevallon red wine. I will just list my thoughts next to the year of the vintage:

1986: Very leathery, with not much fruit, but a floral (roses?) element. A bit tired.

1990: A distinct note of roasted red peppers. Also quite leathery, but richer and more complete. Very good.

1991: Blood, iron & again that leathery aroma. Still not much in the way of fruit, but I like the depth here. A bit tannic.

1995: Very bright in palate impression & some back end cherry fruit to go along with turned earth dimensions. tannins add structure, but they are in balance.

1998: Right on the front end there is a bright cherry aspect. This is backed up by earth, dried leaves & other, similar scents. Very good wine here & one of my favorites of the evening.

1998 Domaine Baruel Cevennes Roquebelle: More of a black fruit impression, good structure and balance. Drinking very well. Again a top wine of the evening. Figures that it's a ringer.

2003: Very dark, ripe fruit, almost too ripe & in fact it's a bit alcoholic on the back end. No surprise when it was revealed as a 2003.

2005: Wow - is this a barrel sample? Very rich & tannic, with tons of fruit and none of the earthy elements. Maybe there is a little herb in the background, but it's really just primary.

I don't think my notes really convey it, but I liked the wines very much. I am not sure I would spend the tariff (approx. $50 or so) as there are many other wines from Southern France that I enjoy as much or more. Still it's an interesting wine that I enjoyed drinking.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

Re: WTN: Domaine de Trevallon Tasting (1986-2005)

by Anders Källberg » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:13 pm

Thanks for the notes, David. Nice to read notes from a vertical that went back to such rather old vintages, in particular since I am planning to hold a similar tasting with our wine club, AuZone, in about a year. I've been collecting Trevallon for quite some while, so I also have some older vintages, but fail to remember which ones right now. From your notes I get the impression that this is a wine that does not gain much from being kept more than about 10-15 years, which agrees with my experiences. In fact it was some time since I had any Trevaillon, but I think I remember having noted earthy notes of beetroots in the older ones. Could you agree with that?

Cheers,
Anders
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:15 pm

I can seem the beetroot idea. I was getting a richness to the earthy notes.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:50 pm

I am a big fan of Trévallon and have notes somewhere, perhaps manuscript, on a vertical a few years ago. My current favourite is 1989 and there is a WTN of mine in the archive from a few months ago; pity it wasn't in your line-up. I would be less reticent than Anders about snapping up a 15+ year old bottle if I found one.

Baruel 96 was on offer in London a few weeks ago for <£6/bottle; few realise how good it was in Rainer Pfefferkorn's days.
Tim York