The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '59 Bordeaux, '62 Burgs, etc on incredible night

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: '59 Bordeaux, '62 Burgs, etc on incredible night

by Dale Williams » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:37 pm

Last night Andy hosted SOBER. Various events with this group have been astounding, but last night the bar was raised (actually, the bar disappeared into the sky). Mark and I splurged to share a car service, I
was really thrilled not to be spitting. Just an extraordinary lineup.

(I graded tougher than usual due to general high level)

With some canapes (trout I think) , the 1985 Krug. I generally say that I like the lighter styled house a la Taittinger more than the bigger, cereally, full styles like Krug. Yet this was my favorite Krug I remember- fullbodied, but amazingly fresh and sprightly. Great zippy acids, lots of yeasty/biscuity notes, chalky minerals on the finish. A-

At table,we started with a pair of whites, accompanied by a version of an Alsace tarte, along with endive and a little blue cheese. As usual wines were double blind, this night we all mostly flailed (in my case partly because I had seldom had wines of this age/quality)

White #1
Darker color, nose of honey and flowers, but on the palate it comes across as heavy and low-acid, alcoholic/hot, very mature. I'm thinking it's 20+ years old. 2003 Chapoutier "Le Meal" Ermitage blanc C+

White #2
lighter, brighter (someone guessed Coche, white Burg seemed a reasonable guess for me), fresh apple fruit with spice and an exotic bent. 2004 Chapoutier "Le Meal" Ermitage blanc B+/A-

Hard to believe they were same wine, one vintage apart

On to the first red flight (with duck confit and potato)

Red #1
Just an accent of barnyard, excellent depth and concentration, lots of complexity, but fruit is fairly young. I'm really loving this, guessing maybe 1978, but it's older. 1962 Rousseau Chambertin A-

Red #2
This has a madierized edge on the nose, though it's not apparent on palate, and fades a bit even on nose. Earth, forest floor, just a hint of caramel. 1962 Rousseau Chambertin Clos de Beze. B

I think consensus was  that this was more a bottle issue than any evidence the CdB was well behind the straight Chambertin.

I thought the next flight (especially number 3) was well-aged Merlot, something like a '64 Right Banker. Others went for old California, eventually someone decided on Rhone (correctly)

Red #3
Plummy ripe red fruit, still some grip, cedar and leather. I like a lot.
1961 Jaboulet "Les Jumelles" Cote Rotie B+/A-

Red #4
Mature red fruit, not quite as lively as its flightmate, a bit shorter. Andy says he's had much better bottles of the same, but this isn't a slouch. 1961 Jaboulet-Isnard Hermitage B/B+

Next flight was , um, memorable

Red #5
A bit more restrained than flightmate, solid dark fruit, lead pencil, resolved tannins, fairly fresh fruit, but nice tertiary notes of hummus and leather. 1959 Lafite Rothschild A-

Red #6
Big rich fruit, mint and eucalyptus, guesses centered around CA, though I though maybe herbier Right Bank Bordeaux (something like '82 Figeac). Ripe and concentrated, extraordinary length, aromas of earth, vanilla, and cigarbox. 1959 Mouton Rothschild A

OK, there were two wine I'll probably never taste again!

With the cheese course, a couple more reds made the rounds (unblind)

1974 Heitz Martha's Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
Chosen because apparently it's been used to counterfeit the '59 Mouton before. Definite similarities- the same slight sense of exoticism, notes of herbs and spice, similar ripeness. There's sandalwood and coffee, big young ripe fruit, in the end different from the Mouton, but also a great wine. A

1982 Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon (Alexander Valley)
OK, I've used the phrase "Silver Joke" before, but the joke's on me. This was a lively and youthful Cab, without the complexity of the preceding wines, but solid dark berry fruit and a little mocha note. Not fading at all. B+

1986 Ch. d'Yquem
Lovely bottle of Sauternes, tropical fruit and apricots Complex and dense, excellent length, fresh. A-

Even with tougher than normal grading, I still ended up with over half the wines at least partially As, and two solid As, something I've never done before in memory. Very grateful to our host for his generosity.

edited to rid Ermitage of an extra e!

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Last edited by Dale Williams on Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: '59 Bordeaux, '62 Burgs, etc on incredible night

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:59 pm

Somehow I doubt my tasting group will top that tonight...
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tony Fletcher

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:56 am

Catskill Mountains

by Tony Fletcher » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:47 pm

Blooming' heck Dale,

Now I know why you didn't bother with the Zachys tasting!

Tony
"Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter! Try again. Fail again. Fail better." S. Beckett
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:15 pm

I knew I should have moved to Westchester.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:00 am

All I can say is Wow! Amazing lineup Dale. Good night to not be spitting. ;)
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:43 am

I am seriously jealous. :!:
Tim York
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:33 pm

Jeez, suddenly I'm feeling like upstate NY was a better place to be last night than Paris, where I am now...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:48 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:I'm feeling like upstate NY was a better place to be last night than Paris, where I am now...

Impossible!

Enjoy!
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:22 pm

The '59 Lafite is my holy grail - someday......maybe someday.
Thanks for the great notes.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:15 pm

Dale,

Got recession? :)

Sounds wonderful. I would love to taste all of the wines, but the '70's Heitz have always intrigued me.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:25 pm

Dale Williams wrote:White #1
Darker color, nose of honey and flowers, but on the palate it comes across as heavy and low-acid, alcoholic/hot, very mature. I'm thinking it's 20+ years old. 2003 Chapoutier "Le Meal" Ermitage blanc C+

White #2
lighter, brighter (someone guessed Coche, white Burg seemed a reasonable guess for me), fresh apple fruit with spice and an exotic bent. 2004 Chapoutier "Le Meal" Ermitage blanc B+/A-

Indeed. Quite a difference the vintage makes.

Had anyone tasted the 2003 at earlier points in its life?

Was it always that bad?

I guess the general prognosis was that it would continue to decline and die?
no avatar
User

Mark Golodetz

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:55 am

by Mark Golodetz » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:55 pm

Agree with almost all of Dale's excellent notes. One major difference; I don't think he was hard enough on the Meal '03 and perhaps did not like the '04 as much as I did. The 2003 was a flaccid blob of wine suffering from progeria. At 5 years of age, it was in its dotage; had it been a Burgundy I would have thought it seriously premoxed. The 2004 was a lovely wine. Fresh, full of fruit, mineral and beautifully layered on the palate, with a long and luscious finish.

Otherwise, some incredible wines; particularly the Mouton and the Chambertin.

Rahsaan wrote:
Dale Williams wrote:White #1

White #2

Indeed. Quite a difference the vintage makes.

Had anyone tasted the 2003 at earlier points in its life?

Was it always that bad?

I guess the general prognosis was that it would continue to decline and die?
Last edited by Mark Golodetz on Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:10 pm

I hate you, Mr. Williams! :wink: :lol:
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:46 pm

Mark,
I liked the nose initially on the '03 Meal, but first taste was quite blah. But on a night of no spitting, it was only thing I didn't finish my pour. But, as end of night (3 hours or so after pour), I took a sample of the '03 right before the Sauternes. Still hot, a bit nutty, but interesting. Probably what brought it up from C- territory for me. As to the '04, that's about as high as I've ever scored a Rhone white, other than maybe a Chave blanc or a Beau. VV Roussanne