The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chianti and Chablis

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Chianti and Chablis

by Dale Williams » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:00 pm

With a load of leftovers, the 2007 Vincent Mothe Chablis. This was a full bottle, half of which was free! I had picked up an order from Zachys, when I got home realized they had given me a 750 instead of a 375, sent note to say they could charge difference or I could bring back bottle, they said don't worry, just enjoy. Well, that's nice! I was glad I had more than 375 ml. I found this more to my taste than the 2005 of this, some clean and vibrant acidity under a core of pure ripe white fruit. This doesn't seem to have true classic Chablis minerality , neither chalk nor flint, but it is a very nice glass of unoaked Chardonnay. B

Neither of us had time to cook last night, so a pizza from local joint, with the 2005 Fattoria Viticcio Chianti Classico. Warm ripe cherries and plums, on the rounder side of Chianti, could use some more acidic vim and vigor. Still, it's clean and unflawed, and it was $5. B-/C+, but still ok value.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.