The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Chappellet Napa Valley Cabernet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: 2003 Chappellet Napa Valley Cabernet

by Brian K Miller » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:52 am

Since I've cut way back on wine purchasing, I am now drinking thorough stuff from a couple of years ago.

This mid-priced Napa Cab (30s or 40s) comes from a well-known pioneer in boutique mountain cab production. Mostly from the mountains on the eastern edge of the Napa Valley. And...my verdict was "solid but not exciting." A bit fumey on the nose (14.5% nominal abv really does show here) but there are some interesting herbal and leather notes going on. A slight bit of bricking in the color. Flavors-still quite primary. Surprisingly smooth and fruit forward-this was not the tannic monster I expected. Some nice currant and blackberry fruit with just a hint of leather/tobacco/anise. Again, whatb stands out is the smoothness.

Looking back at the last couple of weeks, I would say this ranks below the Sojourn and the Newton Puzzle but well above the Pellegrini. I definitely prefered the mixture of flavors in the Bartholomew Park, but your experience with that wine might vary (per M. Malinowski). 85 points. Solid, well-made, but not very interesting-at least not yet.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach