The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: quick data on Germany 07

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

WTN: quick data on Germany 07

by Peter Ruhrberg » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:15 am

Just some quick observations:
Dönnhoff Leistenberg Kabinett: Always delghts me.
Dönnhoff Felsentürmchen: this was a bit inexpressive. rater thick, a bit creamy, not singing. I guess the bortytis shows too much right now.
W. Schaefer Kabinett HImmelreich: just lovely. has considerable substance, but drinks beautifully
W. Schaefer Kabinett Domprobst: even better
Zilliken Rausch Spl (auction): a slightly strange cereal component in the nose. concentrated stuff, laser focus. great wine for the cellar.

4 home runs out of 5. not bad.

Peter
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: WTN: quick data on Germany 07

by Hoke » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:32 pm

And might I say how pleasant it was to see your name pop up in the post queue, Peter!

Good to see our reliable reporter on Germany is doing well and still giving us the good info.

(And you remain one of the best vineyard photogs around. Gorgeous pictures.)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:52 pm

Leistenberg is in my queue.

Felsenturmchen is in the cellar (magnums), but I won't be opening any for a long, long time.

I had the Schaefer Domprobst kabinett (AP16 maybe?) & found it rather unfocused. Screwcap by the way.

Zilliken Rausch kabinett is behind the Donnhoff in queue, but it may be opened in a couple of weeks.

Leitz Berg Rottland Trocken Alte Reben Gold Kap is an absolute monster, though I worry its alcohol may trip it up over the long haul.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:04 pm

Hoke wrote:And might I say how pleasant it was to see your name pop up in the post queue, Peter!

I'm still around, Hoke. Just not posting as much. I hope you got yourself some German 07s...

David: I would need to check the AP of the Domprobst. Thesy were not offered in SC to me. I buried all my bottles in the cellar, to give them 10 years plus X.
The Felsentürmchen should be put away, I agree. Again, the bottle was not mine, and I'm not sure I bought any. For the first time I preferred Kupfergrube over Felsentürmchen.

Peter
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:07 pm

I have not purchased Kupfergrube since 2004. While I like it, I prefer Kirschheck, Dellchen, Brucke and Hermannshohle. Four spatlesen are normally enough for me. I only bought Felsenturmchen because I was able to get it in magnums.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Felix Warners

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:55 pm

Netherlands, Zandvoort and Zeist

by Felix Warners » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:07 pm

Hi Peter,
I only tasted the zilliken auction wines once and that was on the day of the Versteigerung. The wines had loads of acidity and focus but I cant say I found the spatlese very concentrated. The whole line up of the auction wines of zilliken was nice.
"How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants."
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:39 pm

If I may quote my own post from last year, when the Grosser Ring held their tasting in Stcokholm, I was most impressed with Zilliken's 2007s, in particular the Rausch Auslese GK #3, but also with von Hövel's results from 2007:

von Hövel
Surprised me too. Extremely fresh and delicious due to a singing acidity. The wines felt like drinking from a cold waterfall in the mountains, cleansing and refreshing. His two 2007 Scharzhofbergers, a Spätlese and an Auslese also had an extra minerality that made them even more interesting.

Geltz-Zilliken
Same style as von Hövel but , to me, even a notch more delicious. The Rausch Auslese GK -3- absolutely exceptional, very racy, deep and, again, refreshing. Also the "regular" Rausch Auslese -6- was very good.

Unfortunately, none of these wines have been available here in Sweden (yet).
Cheers,
Anders
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:52 pm

Peter, I often find myself agreeing with Hoke, and in the matter of being pleasantly surprised to find your name on this thread while surprising, it was happily so. It must be over a year now since we have had the benefit of your tasting expertise, and it has been too long since I visited your home page as well. Hopefully you won't be gone so long this time.

Peter, I just took another look and I guess I was behind the times., It seems that you have been more active here, than I thought. Now is my face red? :-)
Last edited by Bob Henrick on Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:17 pm

thanks for the data points. I too really like the Leistenberg, haven't tried my Domprobst Kab yet, always good to read your opinions
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:43 am

Felix Warners wrote:Hi Peter,
I only tasted the zilliken auction wines once and that was on the day of the Versteigerung. The wines had loads of acidity and focus but I cant say I found the spatlese very concentrated. The whole line up of the auction wines of zilliken was nice.

Felix,
I was a bit surprised by the concentration of the wine. At the auction I didn't notice it so much. I thought the Zilliken line up was absolutely exceptional, and the prices were unfairly low (good for us...). My favorite was the auction Auslese - the greatest bargain of the event.

Peter
no avatar
User

Felix Warners

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:55 pm

Netherlands, Zandvoort and Zeist

by Felix Warners » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:50 am

Peter,
You are right. Today I looked on the site of Mr Fisch en Mr Rayer at the prices and the Auslese was indeed a great bargain. I did not buy any Zilliken which might have been a mistake.
"How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants."