The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ripe Poujeaux 90, good Venetian Cab, Alfrocheiro Preto

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: Ripe Poujeaux 90, good Venetian Cab, Alfrocheiro Preto

by Tim York » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:43 am

A previous bottle of Château Poujeaux – Moulis-en-Médoc cru bougeois exceptionnel (in the 2003 suspended classification) – 1990, 50% CabSauv, 40% Merlot, 5% each of CabFranc and Petit Verdot, was strangely undernourished and dry (subliminal TCA?) but this one was all it should be from that ripe vintage: a rich nose of round and sweet red/dark fruit with a strong cassis (black currant) component and a medium/full body with good depth, shape and length, a velvety mouth-feel, ripe resolved tannins and still a lot of primary fruit and aromas as on the nose. So what is missing? The aromatic and fruit palette was a tad simple and I missed secondary aromas, which I remember finding on the 82, and a touch of green leafiness, which the last bottle I opened of 88 had in excess. But maybe this is as about good as Poujeaux can get; 16.5/20++.

Both in my reference books and on Google, there is a paucity of information about this wine, “Raso Scuro” IGT Rosso delle Venezie 2002- Mionetto, Valdobbiadene (TV) – Alc 12.5%. Back label helps with information that it is derived Cabernets franc and Sauvignon and from Teroldego and is partly barrique matured for 8 months. However I bought it from a reliable source and my confidence was justified. It was very nicely balanced with attractive aromas of sweet red fruit and minerals, good grip and structural backbone, medium/full body and fresh acidity. 2002 was a difficult vintage in Northern Italy and it is paradoxically possible that I might like this wine less in a riper year; 16/20.

Last July I wrote a note about Alfocheiro Preto - Dão DOC – 1997 – Quinta dos Roques – Alc. 13.5% - Alfrocheiro mono-varietal – and summarised it as “big-and-soft-and-soggy”. I liked it much better tonight with its strong aromatics, liqueur tinted dark fruit laced with canned prunes and liquorice coupled with a certain grip giving a dessert wine type appeal without overt sweetness. Fresher bottle and/or better pairing (or absence of pairing; this time after the finishing the main course of steak accompanied by Poujeaux and before the dessert)? I can see why this grape variety is normally used as part of a blend and it is not for every day or for every dish; but as used tonight 15.5/20+.

Saint-Chinian “5 Vignes” 2007 – Canet-Valette (c. €7), from Grenache, Syrah, Mourvèdre, Carignan and Cinsault, was a disappointing effort from a well regarded estate; aromas of confected boiled sweets and a strong rather coarse liquorice streak running through the sweet fruit on a quite short palate; 13.5/20.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: WTN: Ripe Poujeaux 90, good Venetian Cab, Alfrocheiro Preto

by Mark S » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:26 am

Tim York wrote:A previous bottle of Château Poujeaux – Moulis-en-Médoc cru bougeois exceptionnel (in the 2003 suspended classification)

Tim, what does this mean? It is no longer 'exceptionnel', or the Moulis appleation is no more? I've liked the couple of Poujeaux I've had in the past.

Best,

Mark
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:27 am

Mionetto, I looked too Tim! All I could find was reference to Prosecco.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:41 am

Mark S wrote:
Tim York wrote:A previous bottle of Château Poujeaux – Moulis-en-Médoc cru bougeois exceptionnel (in the 2003 suspended classification)

Tim, what does this mean? It is no longer 'exceptionnel', or the Moulis appleation is no more? I've liked the couple of Poujeaux I've had in the past.

Best,

Mark

Mark,

A revised classification of crus bourgeois was drawn up in 2003 and Poujeaux was classified as Cru Bourgois Exceptionnel. Because of jealousies this classification was challenged and in 2007 the court overturned it. Here is an article from Wikipedia about the situation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cru_Bourgeois .
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:53 pm

Because of jealousies this classification was challenged and in 2007 the court overturned it.

I am always reading in the Decanter how the French want to make their wines more readily available/make labels easier to understand/blah blah.
Gotta love these guys.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:46 pm

Thanks for notes. Poujeaux is not a wine I think about a lot, but tend to really like when I try (the '97 was amazing for the vintage)