The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Duckhorn, Mt. Veeder, Bert Simon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Duckhorn, Mt. Veeder, Bert Simon

by Jenise » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:43 pm

2004 Mt. Veeder Winery Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa
There's no denying that there's oak on this wine, but there's also blackberry, black raspberry and a surprising bit of green olive on a wine that shows more development than I'd expect for a five year old California cabernet, all of which is in fact to the good for drinking right now which it did very very well. It came out of a friend's Eurocave, so it's a true pop and pour--no decanting required.

2005 Duckhorn Merlot, Napa
The maturity noted on the Mt. Veeder was even more pronounced when followed by this wine, which is completely primary and young. Black cherry and blueberry notes with firm, grippy tannins. A shame to drink it so young, but actually quite neccessary to the occasion. We bought it to share with a 90 year old man to celebrate the occasion of our first meeting about 15 years ago--he lived in our Southern California neighborhood, and had three cases of Duckhorn Merlot (I thought) stacked at his south-facing garage door. I watched those boxes in anguish for months before mustering up the nerve to introduce myself, upon which I learned that the boxes held garden supplies. And there began what has become one of the most precious friendships of my life.

2005 Bert Simon Serriger Herrenberg Riesling Auslese (Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer)
Ripe lemon, pear and quince with a little dried apricot on the finish. I drink so few young Germans I have little experience with which to evaluate this wine, but though I didn't find it especially complex right now, I thought it had a perfect balance of acidity and sweetness. But what I lack for in riesling experience I more than make up for in the Sitting Under a Poolside Morrocan Cabana On A Warm But Rainy Southern California Night department, and this was darned near perfect.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Duckhorn, Mt. Veeder, Bert Simon

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:12 pm

Very nice notes. I have some older Mt. Veeder in the cellar that I never seem to get to. My Dad was (is?) a big Duckhorn fan, but I have only had it at event in the last several years, so never gotten to sit with it and form a real impression.

As for the Riesling - I had an '89 Bert Simon when I was in London that had aged very well. I was never really a fan of the producer, but I may be coming around.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:09 am

I enjoyed the Mt. Veeder wines from the early 1990's (90,91 and I think 94) all at 10-15 years of age and they still seemed to have plently of life remaining. Have not had any more recent vintages but from those bottles would find it odd that yours was showing so much development. I do recall that Mt. Veeder was sold sometime back and wonder if the winemaking has changed significantly.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:45 pm

Brian Gilp wrote:wonder if the winemaking has changed significantly.

I don't know, Brian. I wondered that too; the gentleman who poured it for us has favored this winery over the years and we've had many other bottles, all drunk young, that had more stuffing than this '04. I deliberately mentioned the Eurocave to make it clear that passive storage wasn't responsible for it drinking more like a ten year old than a five year old. It was the last bottle of a case purchased at regular retail some time ago.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov