The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Zince you didn't ask...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: Zince you didn't ask...

by JC (NC) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:10 pm

Zinfandel night at Fayetteville Wine Society last night. The lady next to me has taken wine classes and is quite knowledgeable about wines. She prefers Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon so did not expect to be impressed with a bunch of California Zins, but she was impressed and so was I.

2006 Beringer White Zinfandel--pale petal pink; strawberries on the nose; tastes very sweet; poured out after a few sips.
Included for the history of white Zin as an introduction to Zin for many Americans and for the importance of Sutter Home White Zinfandel in saving some old-vine Zinfandel vineyards from being uprooted.

2006 A-Mano Primitivo, Puglia One Italian Primitivo placed in the lineup for its family relationship to Zinfandel. Penetrating nose, almost a claret color, deep ruby, drying on back palate and finish, modern-style Primitivo. Consensus was that it needs to be accompanied by meaty dishes with sauce (such as Osso Buco) or perhaps pizza with a cheesey tomato sauce. (We didn't start the food until after the first four wines.)

2006 BraZin "B(Old) Vine" Zinfandel, Lodi
From California's Central Valley. This was served in a flight with the Runquist "Z" Zinfandel. It proved to be popular at my table and I did enjoy it but liked the "Z" better. Dark berries on the nose and palate. Very fruity, somewhat jammy. My first thought was raspberry but I might also peg it as mulberry flavor and that was the descriptor my neighbor to the right favored. She also was getting chocolate as her first impression but I didn't agree with the chocolate descriptor.
Vineyards range from 35-80 years old. This was a darker color than the "Z."

2006 Jeff Runquist "Z" Zinfandel, Amador County
Deep garnet color--not as dark as the BraZin before it. Some transparency. Although not labeled as "old vine" the grapes are from very old vines. Medium body; long finish. Suggested dark cherries to me and others at the table. Both the BraZin and the "Z" had some viscosity. I really liked this one. My favorite so far. (I have also enjoyed Jeff Runquist Petite Sirah.)

2006 Four Vines "Biker" Zinfandel, Paso Robles
Winemaker Christian Tietje aims to express terroir in his Zinfandels. I had had the "Maverick" from Amador County before and found one glass to be sufficient--it was a powerful wine that seemed "too much" in any kind of quantity (and is described on the website as a jam bomb blended with a touch of Syrah.) The Sophisticate from Sonoma County has a touch of Petite Sirah and is described as seductive and refined and stylish. Getting back to the Biker, it has a little Mourvedre in the blend. It was viscous , some acidity and tannin, peppery on the finish. I did not like it as well as my neighbor did.

2006 Hendry Zinfadel Blocks 7 and 22, Napa Valley
I've heard of the Block 7 for some years but had not yet tried it. This was denser than the "Biker" which was in the same flight. My impressions were of mixed berries, sort of a berry liqueur on the palate and slightly tart. I liked this but one of the organizers said it needs a little time to open up. Might be better with an hour or more of decanting or another year in bottle.

2006 Seghesio "Old Vine" Zinfandel, Sonoma County
The organizers wanted to bring the Seghesio Sonoma County Zin but couldn't get any. This was rather dense but not completely opaque. Some grapes from 90-year old vines. Mild and easy drinking, belying its 15.6% alcohol by volume. I liked it but prefered some of the others.

2005 Rosenblum "Annette's Reserve" Zinfandel, Mendocino County
Organizer said ripe fruit is a hallmark of Rosenblum style. In the past I have gravitated toward Harris Kratka and Rockpile Road wines from this producer. The Annette's Reserve was drinking well last night and was the favorite of some at my table. I liked it too but found it overpriced at about $40.

I ordered one bottle each of the Jeff Runquist "Z" and the Hendry Blocks 7 and 22. The Hendry was offered at about $33 and the "Z" in the 20s. I may go back later and order more but right now I have a number of Pinot Noirs being shipped plus an order of red and white Burgundies.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: WTN: Zince you didn't ask...

by Hoke » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:43 pm

Thanks for the notes, JC.

Question for you: It's only with two wines that I noticed you reported on alcohol level or commented on how the alcohol hit you. However, I could discern (I think) some of your comments as alluding to alcohol. So the question is: how aware were you of the general alcohol levels in the wines, were you sensitive to them, were they noticeable or intrusive overall or only with certain wines, and how tipsy were you from drinking the jam bombs? :lol:
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:45 pm

JC (NC) wrote:the Hendry Blocks 7 and 22. The Hendry was offered at about $33

Yikes. Hendry is another one of those wines that I really liked and drank a lot of then for no real reason just stopped. Back then it was on the Block 7 and the price was much, much less. Had no idea that it had gone north of $30 a bottle.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:11 pm

Interesting question, Hoke. I asked the organizer specifically about the alcohol content on the Seghesio and he said almost all the wines we were having exceeded 15% alcohol which was shocking to some in the crowd. Yet most of them tasted pretty balanced to me. I didn't allow myself to get too tipsy. I poured out most of the white zinfandel, some of the Primotivo, some of the "Biker," etc. (And the pours weren't very large to begin.)

Good news and bad news, Brian. Hendry Blocks 7 and 22 is listed around $26 to $29 at some California and New Jersey locations but over $30 in DC and Connecticut on wine-searcher.com. It may be North Carolina taxes that account for the price differential or it may be that the distributor has a higher markup here. Although as members of Fayetteville Wine Society we are supposed to be getting the wines at a discounted price, I noticed that what I was charged for one of the better Italian wines recently was higher than the general market price. The Hendry Block 7 and 22 is $30 on the winery website and is available in 375 ml. size for $16.50. Maybe I can get the local retailer to order some of the half bottles for me as they are a good size for someone living alone. (I see they have an Albarino also. Has anyone on WLDG tried the Albarino?)
no avatar
User

SteveG

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:28 pm

by SteveG » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:17 pm

Thanks for the notes! The primitivo sounds most interesting to me. Really sorry I did not get to submit this for your tasting:

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:36 pm

Ha ha!

BTW and off-topic, Kristine Miller, one of the three founders of our local chapter, will be moving to Bamberg, Germany with her military husband and their infant son in July. She is from Washington state and has experience as a sommelier, wine director at several restaurants and teaching wine classes at Fayetteville Tech Community College. She is working on an advanced degree in the hospitality business. She is partial to red wines from the Northwest (and maybe California) but will have a good opportunity to explore European wines and especially German Riesling (although she has been informed that Bamberg is famous for its smoky beer.)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:58 pm

JC wonders......Has anyone on WLDG tried the Albarino?)

Yup, last Novemeber when winery owner was in town. Nothing special was my thought, buy the real stuff!! Cheaper too.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:18 am

Thanks, Bob for reporting back. It's difficult to find Albarino around here but I'll keep trying. Maybe one of the retail stores can special order a few bottles for me.