The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bad Boy 2005

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Bad Boy 2005

by Saina » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:05 pm

Thunevin Bad Boy 2005

95% Merlot and 5% Cabernet Franc from vineyards close to St. Emilion but still classified as AC Bordeaux; over 40yo vines. 14 months in new French oak. 14,5% abv; 5,2g/l acidity and costs, like everything in Finland, more that it does over in the US: 18,05€ (apparently it was about 15$).

I must admit that I don't tend to enjoy modern styled Bordeaux at all, but I am happy that this wasn't at all the most over-the-top example of the style. It is actually a bit difficult to explain why I don't enjoy the modern style, but this wine put my thoughts into slightly better focus. It isn't only the use of lots of new oak but rather it is a holistic issue: those producers who go for overt new oak flavours also seem to go for ripeness (and resulting alcohol) and extraction levels that I am uncomfortable with. I know many here will disagree with me, but I think the charm of Bordeaux is the slight greenness which is so refreshing and food friendly. The modern style seems prasinophobic to me, which is a shame. Each of these issues in itself might not be a problem to me, but when all come together in one wine, it does become a problem.

So, now with that aside completed, the actual wine? A roasted and vanillary scent, dark and inky, but with strawberry sweetness. Coupled with the creaminess of the oak, I did wonder at times if I had strawberry yoghurt in my glass. Extremely full bodied, creamy, alcoholic finish. I can see why many like this wine (it has been a huge hit in Finland), but it wasn't one for me.

When will the prasinophobia end?

-Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Bad Boy 2005

by Brian K Miller » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:05 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:
When will the prasinophobia end?

-Otto

Given generations raised on corn syrup and soft drinks, probably never :?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:33 am

Another title that threw me off. Here I was thinking about the reminiscence of an earlier Otto 8)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:53 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Given generations raised on corn syrup and soft drinks, probably never :?

I was definitely one of those, but I outgrew it as you did. Wonder why some of us do, and some of us don't?

Anyway, great note, Otto. I'm sure I haven't seen the wine here, because I'd remember that cute label (even if it scared me off, since I follow the rule that cute label=bad wine).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:35 pm

Brian, I am not at all convinced of the idea of a "soda-pop palate". Despite my wine tasting going toward the thin, screechy acid end of the spectrum, I actually drink quite a bit of soda and I drink it almost daily (I seem to need sugar and bubbles after jogging).

Mark, I've always been a very good boy.

Jenise, in this case the label wasn't entirely indicative of the wine inside. I didn't like the wine, but I will admit that if one likes modern styled Bordeaux, this was a very decent drop for the price. It is simply the whole paradigm of "modern" that I seem to dislike.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:06 pm

Jenise wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:Given generations raised on corn syrup and soft drinks, probably never :?

I was definitely one of those, but I outgrew it as you did. Wonder why some of us do, and some of us don't?

Anyway, great note, Otto. I'm sure I haven't seen the wine here, because I'd remember that cute label (even if it scared me off, since I follow the rule that cute label=bad wine).

You know...I think I did because if I want sweet things, there are cheaper...and better...ways of getting that fix. Wine provides other flavors and characteristics. If I want Welch's Grape Juice, it's a lot cheaper to buy Welch's at the supermarket-and said Welch's-to me, at least, tastes a lot better, frankly, than Bogle Zinfandel does. :mrgreen:

Brian, I am not at all convinced of the idea of a "soda-pop palate". Despite my wine tasting going toward the thin, screechy acid end of the spectrum, I actually drink quite a bit of soda and I drink it almost daily (I seem to need sugar and bubbles after jogging).

True...but I wonder if the average European consumes anywhere near the level of processed foods and simple sugars-especially corn syrup...as we do in the United States. We do have that reputation-even Australians note that they add grape must to American-bound wines because "we" demand sweeter wines.

I don't know the answer to that, except maybe that the obesity statistics hint that there is something worse in the average American diet?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:51 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:Brian, I am not at all convinced of the idea of a "soda-pop palate". Despite my wine tasting going toward the thin, screechy acid end of the spectrum, I actually drink quite a bit of soda and I drink it almost daily (I seem to need sugar and bubbles after jogging).

I think that's proof that you're an anomaly. Yellow Tail's success in America is proof that Brian's right. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov