The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Excellent Ca. Cab. and Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

WTN: Excellent Ca. Cab. and Bordeaux

by Jim Grow » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:00 am

My wife and I drink a bottle of wine per nite and for the last several months we have consumed so-so wine so I thougth it was time to celebrate the shi*** snowy weather and have something really good.

2005 Andersons Conn Valley Cabernet Reserve. I do not know if they make a non-reserve but this wine was indeed awesome. Consumed with pork roast (on the wood stove) in peach/garlic sauce, this was a very aromatic Cabernet with deep cassis nose and flavors (the nose was even better than the palate) and plenty of smooth tannins. This wine could very much benifit from 2-4 years of age but with 6 hrs. of breathing it was extremely enjoyable last nite. A Parker 96, I'd give it a 94 with the definite potential of 96 or more. Just plain excellent.
My last Andersons Conn Valley Cab. was probably 15 years ago.

2003 Ch. Malescot St. Exupery, my first nice 2003 and my first Margaux ever, what a pleasure it was to drink. Dense purple in color with wonderful cassis and coffee and maybe mint aromas, the flavors followed and the whole package was extremely smooth given 1 hour to breath in a carafe. This wine was more ready to go than the Cal. Cab. but certainly had the stuffings to age for many (10-15) years given its great balance and great fruit level. I should do this more often to celebrate surviving the harsh winter we are having in southern Ohio!!!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Excellent Ca. Cab. and Bordeaux

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:13 am

I like the Andersons Conn Valley wines. It's a shame that "The Todd" makes them. His Ghost Horse image really turns me off.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:36 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I like the Andersons Conn Valley wines. It's a shame that "The Todd" makes them. His Ghost Horse image really turns me off.

You don't mean to say that he's being serious, do you? Surely it's a spoof. Surely... :twisted:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:48 am

I know it's a spoof, but it's so ridiculously stupid that I am repulsed.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:03 pm

Thanks for the notes! I've been intrigued with this winery but have never had the opportunity to give them a try!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:05 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I know it's a spoof, but it's so ridiculously stupid that I am repulsed.

Sorry, David, but it's for real, unless he's seeding Cellartracker with fake notes. I was just being a bit Disorderly, I'm afraid. Of course, it could both be real and a put-on at the same time, sort of like Howard the Duck or something...

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:24 pm

Jim, thanks for the 2003 Malescot note. I bought 4 on futures and am looking forward to dipping in some time over the next few years. In the meantime, I am gratified to read notes like yours. I also just bought a pair of 2004's, though I doubt I will buy the uber-pricey 2005 (though it will break up my 2000 onwards vertical).

Thanks,
Michael
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:28 pm

Yeah...sadly true on the Ghost Horse. My spoof comment was in some kind of blind hope that he's just playing it up to get noticed.