The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN's: Sneaking down the alley with Sally

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

TN's: Sneaking down the alley with Sally

by Michael Malinoski » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:21 am

A local restaurant we’ve been frequenting for years recently got a liquor license and it seemed the BYO option was pretty much off the table. Still, Bill arranged for us to have an off-line there and six of us accepted his invitation to join him last week. As the date approached, we received instructions to the effect of “meet Bill with your wines in the back alley—he’ll be in an unmarked Ford station wagon.” So on the night of the tasting, we each arrived and handed off our booty to a shady figure shrouded in falling snow and made our way inside. Eventually, somehow, the contraband found its way to the table, and I’m glad it did, as this was a really good mix of wines!

The white wines:

1996 Francis Cotat Sancerre Les Monts Damnes. The first white wine of the night has a really pretty, yet vibrant bouquet of musk melon, orange blossom, dried pineapple, gooseberry and flower greens. In the mouth, it has a surprisingly felty texture and a bit more weight overall than I expected—which actually gives it a sense of some distinction. There is a pretty fruit profile of yellow apple, white peach and fresh herbs that flows easily across the palate before some tingly acidity cuts in to lend a zippier feel to it all. This is in a really good place right now for current drinking and it was my clear white WOTN.

1995 Trimbach Riesling Cuvee Frederic Emile. This golden-colored wine features a nose of assorted petroleum products, nectarine pit, lemon peel and a bit of lanolin. It starts out with a sort of sweet versus sour thing that never really abates as it progresses through the mouth. There are some puckering citrus notes like grapefruit and lemon pulp on the entry. It then morphs into something entirely different through the fanned-out middle--with more of a sugary peach feel—before picking up the intensity and acidic drive on the sharper but rather lengthy finish. So, there is a lot going on as it fights its way across the palate—but the whole thing never really feels integrated or holistic to me. I think this is a bit awkward right now and needs a few years to pull it all together.

2001 Chateau Lynch Bages Bordeaux Blanc. This is a deep yellow color, with some gold tints. It features aromas of beeswax, flower greens, wet wood and funky wooliness. Eventually, it brings in a strong caramelized note and makes one think of some faint oxidization. In the mouth, it has medium body, an easy-going texture and a fair dose of acidity--but also rather crisp, perhaps under-ripe or faintly oxidized fruit. Overall, the wine is a bit boring, with nothing too much really happening except for perhaps on the finish, which turns brighter and more full-blown. This is either a slightly off bottle or perhaps just over the hill already.

1991 M. Chapoutier Hermitage Blanc Chante-Alouette. Dark gold in color, this wine smells of oily, slightly rancio-tinged hazelnuts, tin foil, white pepper, honeysuckle and marzipan. Others seemed to like this bouquet but I was fairly indifferent to it. On the palate, it is crisp, crackly and tinny, while also seeming brawny, ungiving and tough-skinned. It is kind of an ugly duckling and I have no idea whether it ever was or ever will be swan material.

The red wines:

2006 Valli Pinot Noir Bannockburn Vineyard Central Otago. Some sweet, brambly boysenberry and raspberry fruit aromas are framed by leafy, dusty earth and stem notes that grow with time and air. In the mouth, this is not an overtly fruity wine, instead leaning toward the herbal, crisp side of the spectrum. There is a feeling of restraint to the cranberry fruit, with earth, green tea leaves and stemmy notes playing a big role. It just doesn’t connect with me, especially when compared to the outstanding run of wines below.

2002 Domaine Ghislaine Barthod Chambolle-Musigny. The nose of this outstanding wine is funkily fuzzy, velvety and layered. It features mysterious forest sous bois and mossy aromas smoldering beneath crushed raspberries, clove, tar and sexy sweet incense smells. It is multi-dimensional, textured and deeply inviting, despite the wine’s relative youth. In the mouth, it keeps the hits coming. It is seamless and again feels beautifully-textured and layered. Rich, pure, precocious red berry fruit displays plenty of soft baby fat. There is a great grip here and a beautiful sappy flow that persistently coats the palate with all that goodness. I love the fleshiness but this also has a nice vibrant streak running below all of that--making it feel complete even at this stage of its evolution.

2006 Giacomo Conterno Barbera d’Alba Cascina Francia. I vigorously decanted this (more than once) about 5 hours before dinner and I believe that really helped to unlock a lot of the outstanding elements this began showing by the time the group tasted it. The youthful bouquet is pure and cashmere-smooth—with ripe plums, sweet dark cherries, road tar, limestone and truffle aromas in abundance. It has a wonderful overall mouthfeel—at once rich but also airy and effortless. It is lush--with spicy but refined cherry and mixed berry fruit leading the way, accented by notes of spice box, tar and truffle oil sneaking in here and there. There are no hard edges anywhere (much different from the first hour or two after opening). The acidity is soft and rounded and supports a lifted, lasting sensibility. It dissipates on the back of the tongue and leaves a very pleasing airy perfume in the mouth—with a sort of butterscotch note providing the cherry on the top of the sundae. Yes, this is young, but with enough time in decanter, it can drink beautifully right now. I’m sure holding it is a safe bet, too.

1998 Alain Graillot Crozes-Hermitage. I really love the nose of this wine. It offers up fine aromas of sweet earth, incense, forest greens, spice box, caramel, tar oil, tomato leaf and a general sweaty funk for good measure. In the mouth, it is rather cool-fruited, with a shot of sweet berry compote underneath. The acidity is quite tart and can lend a bit of a sour note that detracts a bit. The tannins, too, are a bit distracting—coming across as somewhat sticky and drying. Still, the wine displays a lot of personality—it just seems to need some more time to let the palate integration catch up with the aromatic finery. Try again in 3-4 years.

1994 Alain Voge Cornas Cuvee Vieilles Vignes. I’m starting to sound like a broken record, but this wine, too, has a fantastic bouquet that I could just smell all night. It features all kinds of aromas like tapenade, raw meat, cooled bacon grease, black pepper, horse hide, leather, spicy jerky and funky earth. Oh yeah, and a bit of black cherry fruit, too! In the mouth, this is a bit leathery-feeling and finely tannic, but with a bright streak of acidity running right through it. It manages to feel both aged and fresh at the same time, with tons of gusto and plenty of rustic goodness. The meaty, matte texture is distinctive and carries along all the earthy flavors with a sense of a balance and easy flow. It was close between this and the Chambolle for my WOTN.

1999 Pierre Usseglio Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Beautiful aromas of steeped cherries, persimmon, leather, limestone, orange peel, earth, tea leaves and crunchy caramel combine to make up the outstanding bouquet of this wine. Once it is in the mouth, one continues to sense a very distinct inner mouth perfume of tangy red berries and soft incense. The fruit feels fairly youthful and combines with notes of tar in a fairly large-boned package that feels immediate and pressing on the palate. There are fine-grained tannins all the way through and a strong sense of balancing acidity. However, there is just a hint of heat and some bitter wood notes on the slightly rough finish that need resolution. It is pretty darned good stuff, otherwise, and should be a real stunner with just a bit more time in the cellar.

1995 Château de Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape. The nose on this wine is rather tight and perhaps suffered somewhat from being opened a bit late in the game. Still, it shows some nice signs of leather and black raspberry fruit aromas, but there seems to be more that is hiding behind the veil at this time. It is cool and deep in the mouth, with crunchy tannins and a burst of dark plum and blackberry fruit. There are some leathery and earthy notes to both the texture and the flavor profile. There is a bit of alcoholic warmth poking out toward the finish, which is also rather dry and a bit reined in. Overall, I didn’t think it competed with the best of the wines on the table this night.

The sweet wines:

1994 Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben Riesling Urziger Wurzgarten Auslese ****. This wine has an exotic but refined aromatic profile featuring notes of wet stones, diesel fuel, citrus skin and apricot pit. On the palate, it is entirely mouth-filling—with a seamless texture, tons of yellow fruit flavor and excellent balance throughout. The sweetness is very nice, without seeming at all sugary or raisined. The finish is actually fairly dry--with more of an apple and citrus profile--but the whole thing just feels right and good. This is all pleasure.

1996 Domaine Bourillon Dorleans Vouvray La Coulee d’Or Tris de Nobles Grains. The nose here is of burnished copper, tangerine, waxy lemon peel, Lady Grey tea, mango and caramel strands. In the mouth, it is grippy but with no sense of being over-weight or heavy-handed. It is a bit sugary-sweet at times, but has a nice crisp edge that keeps it generally clean. Tangy burnt citrus peel, apple and light caramel flavors are nice but perhaps a bit aloof at times. The finish seems just a bit cloying, but comes clean in the end with a late acid squirt. On day 2, this was actually more friendly all-around and drank very well with some sliced Braeburn apples.

1995 Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume. This wine has got it all going on—with a bouquet of mango, kiwi, pineapple and yellow chuckle candies that evolves to include notes of quince, white peaches and some earthier elements. It is intriguing and enticing and shows off a lot of unique personality. It is delightfully viscous and thick-bodied in the mouth, with a good dose of sweetness. It really pumps out the rich flavors of light caramel, yellow tree fruits, yellow raisins, and fresh figs. It is not sugary-sweet but shows off a lot of ripe, sweet fruit. It has great persistence, full body and a finish that just keeps going and going. I found this to be pretty captivating.

1998 Alois Kracher Grand Cuvee #10 Trockenbeerenauslese Nouvelle Vague. This one is amber-brown in color and pours from the bottle almost like maple syrup. It treats the nasal cavity to aromas of pure caramel, yellow and black raisins, maple candy, dates and brown sugar. It is thick, pure and beautiful. In the mouth, it is all about yellow raisins, dates, honey and figs. It is thick, rich, viscous and crazy-dense with fruit. It has massive body and flows like honey—totally coating the tongue in luscious sweet fruit. It has an amazingly long finish. This is totally hedonistic stuff and a fantastic way to finish a delightful dinner.

-Michael
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

Re: TN's: Sneaking down the alley with Sally

by John S » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:07 am

Great song reference from the late, great Robert Palmer, and some pretty great wines as well. Sounds like a fun evening! The sweet wine notes in particular made my mouth water.

I have some newer vintages of the Frederick Emile and Chante Allouette, and wonder how long I'll have to wait for them to emerge from their slumbers...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:33 am

That's one heck of a line up. I remember doing BYO at a restaurant in Houston a few years back where the chef met us at the back door & "snuck in" bottles for my friend and me. It was a Monday, so things were very slow, and he ended up siting with us for nearly the entire evening, leaving only to personally prepare our food. Somewhere in the middle of the '90 Le Pergole Torte Riserva he lost interest in cooking.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:57 am

Great notes! Thanks!
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:24 am

Definately a WOW lineup you had that night. I had one of the first vintages of the Lynch-Bages blanc sometime in the 1990's and thought it to be made for the first few years as opposed to other white Bordeaux made to weather the years.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:47 am

Great lineup of wines!!! thank you for the trip down nostalgia lane..I can still remember my first encounter with Chante Alouette.. It was at the Wine Spectator tasting in NYC 1989. A very good looking young lady at Chapoutier's table poured some into my glass and said" you really have to try this"..How could I refuse??? I can still remember the nose of honeysuckle, hazelnuts and marzipan, like nothing I had ever smelled before..However, I can neither remember what the wine tasted like..other than it was quite delicous..nor what the young lady looked like..other than that she too was quite delicious
Jon
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:52 am

John S wrote:Great song reference from the late, great Robert Palmer, and some pretty great wines as well. Sounds like a fun evening! The sweet wine notes in particular made my mouth water.

I have some newer vintages of the Frederick Emile and Chante Allouette, and wonder how long I'll have to wait for them to emerge from their slumbers...

John, we definitely had some very special sweet wines--I still have some leftover Kracher and will give it a one-week-later tasting tonight or tomorrow night.

On the Trimbach, I am not well-versed enough to know what the ideal drinking window is. I've had them young when they were painfully (but in a good way) crisp and raw and I've also really enjoyed them aged (like the 1990 CFE VT). This is the first one I've had sort of in-between and my preference would be to let them sit even longer once they get to this stage. Others who have more experience ought to weigh in, though.

The Chante Alouette, on the other hand, definitely seemed too old for my tastes. It may become something else down the road, so best to hold it if you have it. But if I had younger vintages, I would drink them, I think. It may come down to stylistic preferences, but I'd prefer not to wait this long.

-Michael
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:53 am

David M. Bueker wrote:That's one heck of a line up. I remember doing BYO at a restaurant in Houston a few years back where the chef met us at the back door & "snuck in" bottles for my friend and me. It was a Monday, so things were very slow, and he ended up siting with us for nearly the entire evening, leaving only to personally prepare our food. Somewhere in the middle of the '90 Le Pergole Torte Riserva he lost interest in cooking.

Thanks, David. That gave me a good chuckle this morning.
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:41 am

Thanks for the notes and the story.

Reminded me of a Bordeaux offline we had in a busy Turkish restaurant in midtown NYC several years ago where we were asked to keep all our bottles hidden at the bottom of our table as it was a Moslem holy day (Ramadan, I believe it was). With 10+ participants, we had about 20 bottles to pass around and pour under the table and that really didn’t help make things inconspicuous.

The things we do for off lines.
Ramon Cabrera
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:00 pm

Damn, Ramon, that was the story I was gonna tell. :)

WFUV is doing a Mardi Gras theme, just played SDTAWS. Written by Allen Toussaint, Palmer with some of the Little Feat guys (including Lowell G I believe)

Nice lineup of wines.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:01 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Damn, Ramon, that was the story I was gonna tell. :)

WFUV is doing a Mardi Gras theme, just played SDTAWS. Written by Allen Toussaint, Palmer with some of the Little Feat guys (including Lowell G I believe)

Nice lineup of wines.

Damn, I miss WFUV. That used to be my station of choice when at Columbia (whose college station was unremittingly pretentious and boring). Are they streaming to the 'Net? I'll have to check. And thanks for the information on SDTAWS -- that probably explains why it's my favorite Robert Palmer song.

Hoy, Hoy!
Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:42 pm

Yep, they stream (http://www.wfuv.org/)
Mostly listen in car, but occasionally at office online.

Getting back to wine, glad the '96 Cotat was so good. I had a past it bottle of the '96 Culs de Beaujeu couple months ago, but not usually as long lived a bottle. Never cared so much for the LB white.
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:01 pm

Extremely nice notes as always Mike, suffering not at all from your expeditious tasting.
I liked the Cotat a lot too, finally strutting its stuff after years of of waiting. You'd think 12 + years would be old enough for a Crozes-Hermitage. I think I've just been drinking my wine too young :wink:
Charles

• 1996 Domaine François Cotat (Paul & François) Sancerre Les Monts Damnés - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Sancerre (2/24/2009)
    Really drinking very well now. Grapefruit predominated but other citrus there too, plenty of minerals. A whiff of musk. Everything in balance now. It has fleshed out but with no fat. Excellent acidity with zero shrillness. I'm glad I saved this bottle.
  • 1998 Alain Graillot Crozes-Hermitage - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Crozes-Hermitage (2/24/2009)
    The prominent Graillot acidity is there sitting on boatloads of syrah fruit, plus some tomato and some funk. Color, nose and palate still young.
    Tasting a remnant days after opening, it's still very vibrant, the fruit is almost New World in it's sweetness and plushness. If you can be plush with a coat of acid.
    It still seems very young, could come together into something very nice.
    Tasted 3 times in the past 5 years, and it has changed very little.
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:56 pm

Thanks, Charles (both for the notes and for those two bottles!).

I really enjoyed the Cotat, perhaps even more so because I was not expecting it to be so good and so fully-realized at this stage. That is quite a wine and its interesting that it needs this much time to show like that. You have impeccable timing...

On the Graillot, there was a quick comment made in the wine focus on syrah this month that perhaps it would be best to drink this '98 up, due to concerns about the acidity becoming too aggressive. I felt it was worth cellaring a while longer to see if it all comes together in a way that the acidity doesn't detract from. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
Michael
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:19 pm

Michael Malinoski wrote:
...the Cotat... is quite a wine and its interesting that it needs this much time to show like that. You have impeccable timing...

You wouldn't think so if you'd tasted the previous bottles.

Michael Malinoski wrote:On the Graillot, there was a quick comment made in the wine focus on syrah this month that perhaps it would be best to drink this '98 up, due to concerns about the acidity becoming too aggressive. I felt it was worth cellaring a while longer to see if it all comes together in a way that the acidity doesn't detract from. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.
Thanks,
Michael

The acidity is if anything less aggressive than it was. I was really impressed with how the fruit was showing when I drank a remaining pour from the bottle after 5 days open. I don't know if it will really come together, but I'm not worried about the fruit disappearing any time soon.
Charles
Charles Weiss