The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 2006 Cloudy Bay Pinot Noir, Marlborough NZ

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

TN: 2006 Cloudy Bay Pinot Noir, Marlborough NZ

by Anders Källberg » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:10 pm

In my quest to learn as much as possible about Kiwi Pinots by sampling those that are available here in Sweden I've come to

2006 Cloudy Bay Pinot Noir, Marlborough
Light red colour. Looking more like a Pinot from Europe than New Zealand.
Fine tuned, elegant and stylish nose with a fine Pinot fruit and a well balanced smokiness and a touch of allspice from sensible use of oak.There is also a hint of something animal beginning to emerge.
On the palate, the wine is more intense than expected form the nose. Peppery and a bit fiery, when it gets warm in the glass, the alcohols starts shining through a bit, but not overly so. Great acidity and well structured tannins. ending a bit on the peppery side with the tannins giving a slightly dry impression. A wine I'd like to try again in 2-3 years to see what happens. If the alcohol (14% abv) does not take over, it should become rather Burgundy-like.
Very good match to a red wine (yes, Pinot noir) braised turbot and gratinated scorzonera. So good, it makes me wonder, is there any better fish than turbot?

Cheers,
Anders
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: TN: 2006 Cloudy Bay Pinot Noir, Marlborough NZ

by Sam Platt » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:27 pm

Anders,

If you don't mind my asking what is the price of the Cloudy Bay PN in Stockholm? I would like to try it, but it goes for around $28 here and don't want to spend that kind of money on a wine that I have no experience with.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:31 pm

Thanks for the report, this is one I am curious about, though the higher alcohol has made me hesitate.

I picked up a bottle of (but have yet to try) the 07 Kim Crawford PN, in part because its 13% made it appear more palatable. We'll see.
Last edited by Oswaldo Costa on Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:23 am

Sam Platt wrote:If you don't mind my asking what is the price of the Cloudy Bay PN in Stockholm? I would like to try it, but it goes for around $28 here and don't want to spend that kind of money on a wine that I have no experience with.

Sam, no problemos, though I can't quite see how the price here in Sweden could help you decide whether to try this or not...
It is SEK 239 here, which roughly converts to EUR 21.50 and USD 27.50, so pretty much the same price as in your neck of the woods. I'd say, give it a try, if the price do not hurt too much. It is a very pleasant wine, charming and quite elegant. Served it slightly chilled, to keep its freshness and stop the alcohol from showing a bit too much.
Let us know what you think if you try it.
Anders
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:27 pm

Here's the label, in case someone would like to see it:

Cloudy Bay PN.jpg

/A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:46 pm

Thanks Anders. I was just curious if it was cheaper outside of the USA. Based on you input I will give it a whirl next time I come across it.

Sam
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:09 pm

Thanks for your notes, Anders. I did not notice the alcohol being fiery when I tasted this wine a couple of times last year - but maybe I did not let it warm up in the glass.

As for your comments of a better fish than turbot- I guess it depends where you live. We don't have turbot in our waters, that I know of.

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Thanks for the report, this is one I am curious about, though the higher alcohol has made me hesitate.
I picked up a bottle of (but have yet to try) the 07 Kim Crawford PN, in part because its 13% made it appear more palatable. We'll see.

Oswaldo, If you have the chance to try the Cloudy Bay, please do. The Kim Crawford Marlborough PN 2007 is not in the same league - mind you 2007 was a very forward and quite striking vintage and the wine will probably be quite seductive, including its colour. Kim Crawford also has a savoury earthy number from Central Otago called 'Rise and Shine' - it's quite a stellar wine and has more of the funky character and dirt.

There is something about the Cloudy Bay that makes it very special in the realm of Marlborough Pinot Noir. It's quite a sensuous wine. You won't drink it with your eyes, but it will seduce a blind man's palate. You can pay up to $50 for CBPN in NZ, whereas the Kim Crawford Marlborough PN 2007 is half that price.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:27 pm

Sue, if you click the link below you will be taken to a web site that reflects the Kim Crawford pinot as it looks over here. I am wondering if this is the same wine that you see there? And, is this an entry level wine for KC?

http://www.kimcrawfordwines.co.nz/popup_2007_mb_pn.htm
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:37 pm

Bob - that is the same wine.
The Rise and Shine, the one I think is superior, is at this link.
http://www.kimcrawfordwines.co.nz/popup ... otnoir.htm
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:09 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:Bob - that is the same wine. The Rise and Shine, the one I think is superior, is at this link. http://www.kimcrawfordwines.co.nz/popup ... otnoir.htm

Thanks Sue, it is kinda funny though that the picture on your link shows a Kim Crawford chardonnay! It speaks of the correct wine, but shows the wrong one. LOL!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:05 pm

Last week one of my reps brought by a Cloudy Bay Pinot Noir 2003. It was supposed to be the current vintage which for them was 2005. I had tasted the 2003 back in 2006 when we were visiting New Zealand at the Pinot at Cloudy Bay tasting.
It was very tight that day and not showing much. Now with a few years of age to it I was very impressed. The aromatics were more of darker fruits with some spice as well. They are supposed to have someone check to see how much 2003 they really have.