The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1996 Alban Riva Syrah

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

WTN: 1996 Alban Riva Syrah

by Joe Moryl » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:15 am

1996 Alban Syrah, Riva, Edna Valley, CA:

My last bottle of this, brought out for a meal at one of New Jersey's best restaurants, Lorena's in Maplewood (I love the number of BYOs in this state). The staff offered to decant this off the sediment and the cork crumbled, half falling into the bottle. I clutched my back-up bottle, but everything was fine.

Color was still very dark, maroon with some brick edges. Not the inky purple of the young wine. Beautiful nose of dark fruits, herbs (thyme), tar. This theme continues on the palate, with a very slight earthy funk, but a wonderful balance. This is like a fine northern Rhone Syrah, but with a richness that speaks of California, without going over into gobbiness. Drinking superbly right now, probably at its peak. My decision to keep some of the '96 and drink the '97 earlier (about 2 years ago) was probably correct.

I am sad, having drunk my last bottle. Picked these up shortly after release for somewhere in the mid $20 range, but now see that this wine runs $100 or more, if you can find it. Hmmm, some good Rhones can be had for (much) less. Can anyone suggest someone who is doing good work with Syrah in CA, but won't break the bank? Also, being able find it on the shelves of a good shop in the NYC area a plus (not into mailing lists and case purchases). Something like the Eaglepoint Ranch Syrah from Mendocino, which is a good value if you can find it.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: 1996 Alban Riva Syrah

by Redwinger » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:24 am

Joe Moryl wrote: Can anyone suggest someone who is doing good work with Syrah in CA, but won't break the bank?

Joe,
You obviously have not been paying attention. :wink:
I would mention Edmunds St. John, but if I did that, some would accuse me of being a shill for ESJ. And, unlike Montana, I believe they are available in NYC.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:36 pm

ESJ is a good choice, but the only one that pops up regularly around me is the Rocks and Gravel (which I enjoy). Don't see the Syrahs very often, but maybe I should look harder.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:14 am

Joe Moryl wrote:ESJ is a good choice, but the only one that pops up regularly around me is the Rocks and Gravel (which I enjoy). Don't see the Syrahs very often, but maybe I should look harder.

Beyond ESJ in the reasonably priced category are Bill Easton's Domaine de la Terre Rouge, Joseph Swan, Porter Creek, Unti and Bella. These recommendations reflect my bias away from overextraced, overoaked, overly alcoholic Syrahs. Lagier-Meredith also makes a fine Syrah, but they ain't cheap.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:58 am

Joe Moryl wrote:ESJ is a good choice, but the only one that pops up regularly around me is the Rocks and Gravel (which I enjoy). Don't see the Syrahs very often, but maybe I should look harder.

At the risk of contradicting the very famous Wine Dude, Robert Parker, Jr., the 2005 Edmunds St. John Syrah "Wylie-Fenaughty" is singularly impressive, at the moment, and, given a few more years, will be truly extraordinary. I admit to being pre-disposed to speak highly of this wine, but only because I know it as well as I do, and because I instigated the planting of both of these vineyards. But then, again, what the Hell do I know?
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

by TomHill » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:05 pm

Joe Moryl wrote: Can anyone suggest someone who is doing good work with Syrah in CA, but won't break the bank? Also, being able find it on the shelves of a good shop in the NYC area a plus (not into mailing lists and case purchases). Something like the Eaglepoint Ranch Syrah from Mendocino, which is a good value if you can find it.

Well.....not that I'd know anything about Calif Syrah, and I don't know what's on the shelves in NYC, but a few things come to mind:
Jaffurs SBC Syrah '07 ($24)
Ojai SBC Syrah '06 ($24)
Qupe single-vnyd Syrahs '06 ($32)
Any EdStJ Syrahs (ridiculously cheap)
Cline CoolClimate Syrah '06 ($17)
Failla Estate Syrah ($60)
Lagier-Meredith Syrah '06 ($48)
Any Novy Syrah ($20-$35), depending on vnyd designation.

And there are a lot more I'm forgetting that I may add later.
Tom
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:44 pm

Thanks everybody for the suggestions: some of these names have been on my radar screen for awhile, but they really don't show up in the NJ/NY market frequently. I'd love to find some of the WSJ Wylie-Fenaughty or Jaffurs '07 SB sitting on a shelf, but no luck, even using online searches. And some of those other producers seem to fetch an east-coast premium: the cheapest Novy bottling I found was $45 and the only Terre Rouge was $90!

Tom: thanks for the tip on the Cline Cool Climate. I had sorta written them off in recent years, but do see that a shop in my area has the '06 for $15, so I'll pick some up.