The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '05 satellite Bdx and Piedmont, '07 Loire

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: '05 satellite Bdx and Piedmont, '07 Loire

by Dale Williams » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:12 am

Betsy and her mom returned Wed, Betsy said she was glad to be back in her kitchen. She made kale soup with proscuitto, roast chicken, and a green salad with beets. Opened the 2005 Produttori del Barbaresco Langhe Nebbiolo , nice wine. Bright acidity, bright red cherry and raspberry fruit, earth. Not much weight, tannins there but not bothersome, a nice lighter styled Nebbiolo. The following night I was taking some Google staff on a run, so only had a half glass of the leftovers with dinner ( spaghetti with Bolognese, kale, and a bok choy salad with pears). Holding up amazingly well, little obvious oxidation, Cranapple fruit with mushroom and leather. Still on lighter side, not giving a serious Barolo a run for the money, but a fine $15 Nebbiolo. B/B+

When I got in late that night, I tried a glass of the white Betsy had used for the sauce, the 2007 Clos Roche Blanche Sauvignon Blanc #2 (Touraine).
Good acidity, gooseberry and lemon, a little grass. However, an odd metallic note on the finish was distracting. Another taste Friday night didn't have the metallic note, but by then the freshness suffered. OK, but I liked more previously. B-

Friday's dinner was lamb chops in a pepper/tomato/olive sauce. I was thinking Italians, but opened a 2005 Ch. Canon (Canon-Fronsac) because it was handy. I had hoped I was pre-shutdown, but this was quite monolithic. Some air showed black currant and plum fruit, but not much else. Fairly strong tannins for a satellite wine, good acidity makes me think this will age midterm ok, but for now not a lot of pleasure. C+ for drinking now, guessing on B/B+ potential.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.