The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

More than you wanted to know about clones

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

More than you wanted to know about clones

by John Treder » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:01 am

Rod Berglund wrote a dissertation on PN clones in his current newsletter. Tons of interesting stuff! http://www.swanwinery.com/newsletters.php
Pick the newest newsletter.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: More than you wanted to know about clones

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:42 am

Very interesting, thanks for posting.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:10 am

Most of the winemakers I've talked to here in the Willamette Valley credit the introduction of the Dijon clones for the success of pinot noir in Oregon - they seem to love it here. But, there are still many, many Wadenswil (too lazy to umlaut) and Pommard plantings, too.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:37 am

Interesting the way terroir sometimes trumps genetics, and sometimes it's the other way around.

I found this quote particularly revealing (emphasis added):

At this point in time there is little if any agreement
on what constitutes the best selections
of pinot noir. A decade or so ago the so called
Dijon clones...were
all the rage. In general they had smaller clusters,
moderate crop levels, and ripened earlier
than many of the other available selections,
which are all good characteristics in Burgundy,
France, but not necessarily here.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:28 pm

Yes, that was interesting. I'd like to draw Rod out about the phrase you boldfaced.
I had the opportunity about a year ago to taste about 8 or 10 individual clones all grown by Rod, in various vineyards. Now I don't remember whether he had any samples of the same clone from two vineyards (or maybe different blocks) that day. I was amazed at how different the clones tasted.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:14 pm

Also - thanks for posting. I'm making my first red Pinot Noir this year (I used some for a white bubbly a few years ago) from Dijon clones planted in a local vineyard. This is a new vineyard and the grapes are from the very first crop. Not pointed out in the article is that one of the clones (667 or 117 I believe) produces bunches that are looser and with slightly larger berries than other clones, making them less susceptible to mildew problems. This was pointed out to me by the grower.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:11 pm

John - Santa Clara wrote:Yes, that was interesting. I'd like to draw Rod out about the phrase you boldfaced.
I had the opportunity about a year ago to taste about 8 or 10 individual clones all grown by Rod, in various vineyards. Now I don't remember whether he had any samples of the same clone from two vineyards (or maybe different blocks) that day. I was amazed at how different the clones tasted.

John

John, if you keep in mind that Pinot Gris and Pinot Blanc are also clones of Pinot Noir, maybe large differences between red Pinot Noir clones isn't such a surprise!
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:50 pm

This IMHO is what makes so-called “single” varietal wines so darn interesting.
John thanks for posting the link.

Salute
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:29 pm

You're right about that, Mark.
The occasion for my opportunity to taste clones was "Rod's birthday party" last summer, and it was a warm day. Rod had pulled barrel samples of various clones and stuck them in unlabeled bottles bottles (he had postit notes on some of them) and they took up a couple of folding tables in the picnic ground in Saralee's Vineyard. I was there early (thankfully) and got to go through most of the clones pretty much at once, and before I had started feasting. Given the atmosphere and the fact that Rod was sort of distracted with being asked questions about "Do this? Do that?", he still managed to impart a ton of information. Sadly, I wasn't prepared to take notes.
There was Swan (of course) and an Amador County clone (it has a name - I don't remember it) and half a dozen Davis clones and several Dijon clones and ISTM a couple of others. I do remember that I tasted one, and before Rod described it, I said, "That's one in your Saralee's bottling!" and for a change I was right. Some tasted more fruity, and some tasted very brambly and "structured". Only a couple did I think might have been enjoyable as a single-clone bottling. I found myself having added respect for those who can blend wines. I sure couldn't - my nose is terrible.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:45 pm

John - thanks for posting that Swan link and the other information about your visits there. Living in the east I've only managed to try a few of their Zins but will try to visit them should I get out to Sonoma. Flat Rock Cellars in Niagara, Ontario had a lineup of single clone (Dijon) bottlings from the 2004 vintage as well as a blend, Gravity, made from these components. There were certainly some differences in the clones but the Gravity came off as the most complete wine. Interesting stuff.