The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Technical problems

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Technical problems

by JC (NC) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:59 pm

I'm often having problems logging on in the past two weeks (probably related to firewalls at work.) Usually I have to enter my JC (NC) login tag and my password (although I choose the option "Log me in automatically each time") but sometimes it then says "You are successfully logged in" and then instead of going to the forum it asks for login and password again in an endless cycle.

Sometimes I can get in by clicking on "Board Index" and then "Wine Forum" but it doesn't display "Friends and Fun" as part of the Board Index or in the dropdown once I'm on Wine Forum.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Technical problems

by David M. Bueker » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:01 pm

The system (undoubtedly work related) is blocking cookies. I have the same issue sometimes.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:51 pm

Guess your employer actually wants u to work at work, eh?
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:37 pm

That's a cookie issue, JC. Delete all your Wine Lovers Page cookies from your browser, empty your cache, close and restart your browser. Make sure you get ALL the cookies. Look under http://www.wineloverspage.com as well as wineloverspage.com etc. Your browser views those as two different sites, so keeps the cookies separately.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:41 pm

Good time to ask, what is a cookie? Never understood I`m afraid to say.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:48 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Good time to ask, what is a cookie? Never understood I`m afraid to say.

A cookie is a small file that is used by websites to identify you as you. That's what keeps you logged in and recognized as you on WLDG, for instance. Any websites that need to personally identify you, such as webmail accounts, or any place that uses a membership system, will send a cookie to your browser. Your browser must accept cookies from sites that require them, or the sites will not work properly for you. (Accepting cookies from sites that just want to set them for random purposes like tracking viewers is another story altogether.)

Cookies have an expiration date. (You wouldn't want to eat stale cookies, now would you? ;)) Sometimes cookie qualities (such as the expiration dates) are in conflict and one needs to delete cookies and accept new ones to fix the issues.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:22 pm

Darn, Cynthia! I was going to describe a cookie to Ross, ending with something like, "... for example, a chocolate chip cookie."

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:34 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Good time to ask, what is a cookie? Never understood I`m afraid to say.

Cynthia gave you a correct answer. In addition cookies should be managed. I don't know of any site you can't reenter after deleting all cookies. To get to this one, you just sign in. Don't know what browser you use, but most have a "tool bar." Under tools there are "internet options." One of the options is to delete cookies. You would be amazed how fast they build up and some of them are dangerous. I delete all my cookies at least once a week.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:43 am

I delete my cookies whenever my wife bakes them! :roll: (Someone had to go there. You all knew it would probably be me. It's a "gift".)
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:15 am

Thanks for the help, all. I will be away from my computer most of today but will delete the cookies at the end of the day or tomorrow.