The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Inexpensive wine recommendations for wedding

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MMcCawley

Rank

Just got here

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:05 am

Inexpensive wine recommendations for wedding

by MMcCawley » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:00 am

Hello everyone! I just came across your forum so this is my first post. I'm getting married in June and am currently looking for wine to serve at our wedding and would love your input. My initial thoughts were to buy Charles Shaw given our budget. Is there anything else in the Charles Shaw price range that you would recommend over CS? I know most of you would prefer a much higher end bottle but given our fixed budget, I'm trying to get the best bang for our buck.

Thank you for your help and input,
Matt

Also, the wedding is being held in Orange County, Ca so I should probably limit my choices to something that can be bought locally or can be shipped for a reasonable price.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Inexpensive wine recommendations for wedding

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:02 am

There's very little that can be had for $3, though you could ask some folks at a good wine shop if there's anything distributors are trying to unload in this lousy economy (it's been happening). Is your price ceiling really $3-$4 a bottle or would $8-$10 be acceptable (it opens up a whole new world).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:26 am

Welcome Matt. If you can step up as David suggests, entry level Rosemont Shiraz and Chardonnay will give you red and white crowd pleasers. Don't forget a bubbly for toasting. Spanish Cavas are budget choices.
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

by David Z » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:27 am

I used to buy wine for the functions at my old graduate school, often with a $5-a-bottle budget. When I had to do this, I'd go to two big wine stores in my area, and say (more politely than this): "I need to buy 4 cases at $5 a bottle max. What's the best deal you can give me?"
Invariably, they'd cut me a deal on something decent that usually retailed in the $8 range. $8 isn't a whole lot, but it puts some of the basic wines from the S. hemipshere into play.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:32 am

Not CS price level but I recently had a Trapiche Torrontes that I would be fine with serving to guests. I think I got it for $7/btl in a local grocery. With case discount you can probably get it down to $6 btl and maybe lower depending upon how much you need.

No help with reds in your price range.
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:43 pm

As others have said, if you're willing to go to the $8 range, there are a lot more possibilities. One of those is the Borsao red, reliable if not profound at $7 or $8 or so. If you really need to stay in the Charles Shaw price neighborhood, you might look for the Crane Lake wines. I occasionally engage in some dollar-cost-averaging by trying those, which should be available for $3-$4. They make a myriad of varietals, so you might want to try some. Among reds, I thought a recent Sangiovese was a good effort for the price - which isn't saying that much, of course. :)
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:56 pm

Hi, Matt. Welcome to WLDG.

You haven't said what kind of reception it is, or how many people you are expecting, but here's something else to think about. If your guests are not really wine people and/or it's not an extremely formal dinner, you might be able to forgo wine with dinner and just serve each guest a glass of some relatively inexpensive sparkling wine for toasting with dessert.

If you and your intended are wine people, purchase a nice bottle for yourselves and share it alone in your hotel room that evening.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:51 pm

In my recent quest for everyday wines I've tried a lot from Portugal and can recommend the '06 Palestra from Douro (red) and the '07 Quinta de Cabriz Dao (white) as wines that should appeal to just about anyone. Both can be had for $5.99 in my market and are not too rare - don't know what the distribution would be like where you live. Add in a case discount and you will have some very nice wines for little cash.
no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:20 am

by Nathan Smyth » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:58 pm

MMcCawley wrote:Also, the wedding is being held in Orange County, Ca so I should probably limit my choices to something that can be bought locally or can be shipped for a reasonable price.

Three words: Prosecco, Prosecco, and Prosecco.

You've got some great shops in Orange County, or nearby, to include Wine Exchange & Woodland Hills & Wine Expo [Roberto Rogness's shop]:

Wine Exchange
http://www.winex.com

Woodland Hills Wine Company
http://www.whwc.com

Wine Expo
http://www.wineexpo.com

I'd go into one of those shops, and ask for the three [or five] driest, lightest, most delicate proseccos in the $10/$12/$15 range [Roberto Rogness would have especially good insight here], and take them home, and get out a bunch of wine glasses, and have a little tasting, and decide which one I liked best, and then order cases and cases and cases of it [although get the salesman to promise you that he will order for you (or sell to you) the very same release of the wine as what you tasted - for example, if you taste the 2007 release now, but for your June wedding, the salesman gets you the 2008 release, then there's no guarantee that they will taste alike].

PS: In all seriousness, it doesn't necessarily have to be "Prosecco" - it could be a French Crémant d'Alsace, or a Spanish Cava, or a German Sekt, or some similar style of wine, but for light, delicate, airy, lithe, elegant, INEXPENSIVE sparkling wine, your best bet will probably be a Prosecco.

PPS: If you can go up just a little bit in price, to $23.99, then Wine Exchange has the NV Laetitia Brut Rose, from the Arroyo Grande region of California, which, in past releases, has been just a phenomenal wine:

NV LAETITIA BRUT ROSE
http://www.winex.com/wine-20633-.aspx

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:58 pm

Nathan, Roberto's shop and Woodland Hills are an hour plus away from the OC county line, but the OC does have the superb Hi Times in Newport Beach and the Wine Club that's just off the 55 on McFadden in Santa Ana/Costa Mesa. Between those two and the Wine Ex that you appropriately suggested, and perhaps others that have sprung up since I last lived there, there's no need for Matt to suffer the drive across L.A. And for a bubbly? The Seguras Vidas Aria from Spain is more interesting, at $9, than any Prosecco I've personally had. But I'm not sure that even $9 is in Matt's budget vs. the $2-$3 he's talking about for Charles Shaw.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

by Nathan Smyth » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:03 pm

Jenise wrote: the $2-$3 he's talking about

Get serious: $2 to $3 wouldn't purchase you a bottle of beer.

But $10 to $12 to $15 will purchase you a world class bottle of Prosecco, which could be capable of challenging champagnes costing 10x as much.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:01 pm

Nathan Smyth wrote:Get serious: $2 to $3 wouldn't purchase you a bottle of beer.

No, Nathan, YOU get serious. Charles Shaw is the infamous "Two Buck Chuck". Get it? Two Buck--$2-3? Same thing.

And I don't know where you're buying your Prosecco at, but I've never tasted one at any price that would beat any champagne let alone a $100 one. And for $10-15? They must ship all the crappy Prosecco to my side of the country, because every one I've tasted has been a bit dull if not dilute and a bit sweet. Name some names, I'd love to find a Prosecco that good.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:13 pm

Nathan,

Matt gave his parameters. You ignored them. Why exactly did you post? Were you bored today?
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:33 pm

Matt,

The house wine at Olive Garden is called Principato. They make a very drinkable red, white and rose wine. While you pay $4.50 a glass in the restaurant you can pick it up at some liquor stores for under $5 per 1000 ml bottle, and cheaper by the case. Not all liquor stores carry it, and they are not allowed to display it. You have to ask. Also, as previously suggested as your friendly wine shop merchant what sort of good case deals he has. You might be surprised. I did that and picked up a case of BV Coastal Estates Cab for around $4 per the other day.
Last edited by Sam Platt on Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:52 pm

Name some names, I'd love to find a Prosecco that good.

Jenise,

I've had Conegliano Valdobbiadene that is pretty good. It could hold its own with some $40+ champers, but not the $100 models. I would like for someone to invite me to side by side comparison tasting though.

Sam
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:38 pm

Jenise wrote:
Nathan Smyth wrote:Get serious: $2 to $3 wouldn't purchase you a bottle of beer.

No, Nathan, YOU get serious. Charles Shaw is the infamous "Two Buck Chuck". Get it? Two Buck--$2-3? Same thing..

Indeed. As reported by Roberto Rogness (cited by Nathan) on another forum, economy wine (selling for LESS than $3.00) is almost 25% of the US market, while Sub-Premium wines ($3.00-$6.99) have 44%. Shocking! :)

And I don't know where you're buying your Prosecco at, but I've never tasted one at any price that would beat any champagne let alone a $100 one. And for $10-15? They must ship all the crappy Prosecco to my side of the country, because every one I've tasted has been a bit dull if not dilute and a bit sweet. Name some names, I'd love to find a Prosecco that good.

I don't know that I've had a Prosecco that I thought better than my preferred $30 Champagne, but I've had a few that I thought better than the average $25 Champagne. In order, I'd look for Bisson, Nino Franco, Riondo, Bisol if you haven't tried.

I think Jenise is pretty much correct (except at most traffic times WHWC is probably close to 2 hours from OC!). How much is Matt willing to pay? If under $5/bottle, options are very limited.

Matt, w/o knowing what your budget limit is and how much you care about the wine, I think best advice (distlilled from previous comments) is to go to 2-3 shops near you (I agree Winex is good, only decent OC shop I've been to). Tell them your budget, let them give you a couple of recs. Buy a bottle of each, see what you think. There's not much at $3/bottle, but if you go a bit higher some ok stuff in $5-7 range. Spain and Portugal might be best bets. I'm a geek, but on a budget and with a crowd that wasn't vinocentric, for our wedding I think I did Borsao (temp/grenache blend), Cotes du Rhone, a Muscadet, and a CA Chard. None were over $6 in 2001.

Whatever you choose, relax- the wine is the least important part of the day (well. after the flowers). :)
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:38 am

Sorry if this appears crass, but why are you inviting so many people if your budget is so tight? Just give up entirely on wine, then, and get some kegs of good beer and ale.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:53 am

Hi Matt, and welcome to WLDG. Like David B and others, I think if you up it to $8 to $10 a bottle you will definitely open up an entirely different window to the wonderful world of wine. Surely by hunting you can probably find something closer to your range. I would consider the wine in the keg by Mas Vino from Northern California. I’m not sure if they have branched down into Southern California.

Salute
no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

by Nathan Smyth » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:13 pm

But just for the record, about five seconds of googling found this page:

Where to Watch Football: Drink & Food Deals
Updated 5:15 PM EST, Mon, Dec 15, 2008
nbcwashington.com

which indicates [as I knew it would] that you can't purchase even domestic bottled beer for under $2 in a bar anymore.

No one argued that point with you, Nathan. All that was in contention was the price of Charles Shaw wines.

But in all seriousness, for Matt McCawley - I'd try to get in touch with Rogness to see what he could recommend as far as light, delicate, elegant wine for people on a budget [unless, of course, you want thick, heavy, awkward wine suitable for inducing vomiting and inflicting days-long hangovers, in which case any grocery store jug wine should do - although you might get even more bang for your buck with Thunderbird & its ilk.

Matt came here earnestly seeking advice, and what you're telling him is that unless he's willing to go seriously overbudget and buy the kind of wine you prefer, he's drinking like a Skid Row bum. Fortunately, this thread is full of better examples of the kind of helpful advice we like newcomers to receive.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:59 pm

Nathan - your tone is completely counter to the spirit of this site & I would appreciate it if you would either edit your own post or delete it. You dig your own hole.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:20 pm

Oh dear, I've made the perfectly awful mistake of replying to Nathan in Edit mode rather than Quote, so I've changed his post forever. I would restore it as it was, but the original post is not retrievable. Nathan, my apologies, I did not mean to do that. You may, however, edit your own post (and remove my comments) to restore your own words as they first appeared.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:22 pm

Matt,

I was at the local wine shop today and asked your question to the store manager who has been in the business for a long time. He said that he gives case discounts of 20%, and multi-case discounts of up to 30%. As far as recommendations, he said in the $2-$3 range you would have to stick with the jug style wines like Franzia and Gallo (the Gallo Hearty Burgundy is really not that bad). For a couple of dollars more you could get some South African (Sebeka) and Chilean wines by the case. He said that if you can move to the $7-$8 price range (cases) that the world is your oyster! In fact, I picked up a very nice little Montepulciano by Caldora for $9.00 (bottle) that stemmed from the conversation. Thank you!
Sam

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:22 pm

Jenise wrote:Oh dear, I've made the perfectly awful mistake of replying to Nathan in Edit mode rather than Quote, so I've changed his post forever. I would restore it as it was, but the original post is not retrievable. Nathan, my apologies, I did not mean to do that. You may, however, edit your own post (and remove my comments) to restore your own words as they first appeared.

I'm just curious why anyone, other than the original author, would have rights to amend/revise any post? Lock it, delete it, I don't really care, but authority to revise a post should not be allowed except by the original poster. Period, IMO.
'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:28 am

Redwinger wrote:
Jenise wrote:Oh dear, I've made the perfectly awful mistake of replying to Nathan in Edit mode rather than Quote, so I've changed his post forever. I would restore it as it was, but the original post is not retrievable. Nathan, my apologies, I did not mean to do that. You may, however, edit your own post (and remove my comments) to restore your own words as they first appeared.

I'm just curious why anyone, other than the original author, would have rights to amend/revise any post? Lock it, delete it, I don't really care, but authority to revise a post should not be allowed except by the original poster. Period, IMO.
'Winger

When you are quoting a post you can pretty much do what you like with the original Bill. It's kind of like being a journalist. You can take quotes out of context, quote only a small portion, etc.. The original post can only be edited by the poster or someone who has keys like Jenise, as far as I understand it. Jenise, Robin, or Cynthia are free to correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
Next