The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '05 Chateau Fougey Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

WTN: '05 Chateau Fougey Bordeaux

by Carl Eppig » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:15 pm

2005 Chateau Fougey, Bordeaux ($12.99 Whole Foods). Alcohol level: 12.5%. This is a negociant wine from Gironde with Merlot in front, followed by Cabernet Sauvignon & Cabernet Franc. We certainly didn’t drink this one too soon.

The wine was lively on the nose and upfront, most probably due to the Franc. There was plenty more fruit in the middle, as well some Bordeaux funk, nice acidity in the complexity, and smooth tannin. The finish lingered a while. It is a recommended QPR.

We matched it with 2” sirloin steak seared and roasted at 400 degrees for nine minutes, baked potato, and salad with raspberry dressing. A great Wednesday night!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: WTN: '05 Chateau Fougey Bordeaux

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:52 pm

Carl Eppig wrote: Alcohol level: 12.5%. ....... We matched it with

More and more I look for the alcohol level in a wine. It really makes a big difference in whether a wine seems to me to be food friendly or not.

Thanks for the note, Carl.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:13 pm

Thanks Cyn, but it could be suspect. Not that it seemed high in alcohol, but we find that a lot of the international QPRs, particularly from Europe; tend to sport the ubiquitius 12.5%.

Incidentally I don't know if this particular wine is available anywhere except from Whole Paycheck.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:28 am

Hi Carl,

I have that one, I am pretty sure; I’ve drunk it in another year for sure. Sherry-Lehmann carries it, I believe, along with a dozen other chateaus pretty much like it, in the $12 range. You might know, they call the collection the “Unsung Heroes.” I order mixed cases from time to time. They are perfect backyard wines, and a hedge against poverty in this economy.

I try to Google my unsungs to find out whence they come, but can never find them. Do you have any idea where the Fougey property is? I sometimes wonder if such a wine comes from Entre-Deux-Mers - most of them are rich in Merlot.

I find it hard to describe these kinds of wines. I think of them like wrestlers, if you don’t follow the burlesque. They all pretty much do the same thing but are not distinguished. In the case of the wines, they taste okay and remind you that if you go cheap enough you can still get a touch of a headache. When they come from a great year, like 2005, they show up bigger than their britches – but not quite digestible, like true Bordeaux. On the positive side, if you drink one on a Friday night, followed by a better, but not great, cru bourgeois or Fifth-Growth on Saturday, it will taste like a First-Growth in comparison. I find myself drinking unsungs more regularly – last night, in fact: Château Thébot. 13%.

Covert
Last edited by Covert on Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:59 am

From what I can find, Chateau Fougey is the third wine of the Chateau Barreyres Estate in Haut-Medoc. From their website:

"Chateau Fougey is also made on the Chateau Barreyres estate. The youngest vines are used in this blend alongside those at the base of the valley. The result is a particularly rounded, quaffable wine. This is the youngest member of the Chateau Barreyres family, but just as precious as the rest. Supple and quaffable, it still has all the robust qualities of a Medoc wine. The blend contains slightly more Cabernet Sauvignon, which on the surface makes this a more predictable wine, but charming nonetheless."

and Carl, I turn away from most wines above 14.5% alcohol while shopping these days.

Drew
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:04 am

Drew Hall wrote:From what I can find, Chateau Fougey is the third wine of the Chateau Barreyres Estate in Haut-Medoc. From their website:

"Chateau Fougey is also made on the Chateau Barreyres estate. The youngest vines are used in this blend alongside those at the base of the valley. The result is a particularly rounded, quaffable wine. This is the youngest member of the Chateau Barreyres family, but just as precious as the rest. Supple and quaffable, it still has all the robust qualities of a Medoc wine. The blend contains slightly more Cabernet Sauvignon, which on the surface makes this a more predictable wine, but charming nonetheless."

and Carl, I turn away from most wines above 14.5% alcohol while shopping these days.

Drew

Interesting. It is a true Bordeaux, then.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:02 am

Carl, your Wednesday nights are pretty nice. Great note and good food.
Last edited by James Roscoe on Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:13 am

Thanks for notes, Carl. Always good to see reasonably priced honest Bordeaux.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:22 am

Covert wrote:Hi Carl,

Do you have any idea where the Fougey property is? I sometimes wonder if such a wine comes from Entre-Deux-Mers - most of them are rich in Merlot.

Covert

All it says on the bottle is that it is a negociant wine from Gironde with Merlot in front of the Cabs. I can find nothing online except that it is available at WF.

Cheers, Carl
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

Link to their web site

by Drew Hall » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:32 am

http://www.chateau-barreyres.com/index_uk.htm

Click on "Our three treasures" link at the bottom of the page.

Drew
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Link to their web site

by Carl Eppig » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:08 pm

Drew Hall wrote:http://www.chateau-barreyres.com/index_uk.htm

Click on "Our three treasures" link at the bottom of the page.

Drew

Good word inspector!

Cheers, Carl