The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Increased risk of cancer from one glass of wine?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Increased risk of cancer from one glass of wine?

by Tim York » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:20 pm

The French press today contains a report from Prof. Dominique Maraninchi of the (French) National Cancer Institute and Didier Houssin, Director General of Health, to the effect that as little as one glass a day of wine (unit of alcohol) entails a significantly increased risk of cancer. The report quotes 168% increased risk for cancers of the mouth, larynx and pharynx, 28% for the oesophagus, 10% for the breast and 9% for the bowel. I have read before that the association of tobacco and alcohol favours cancers of the upper digestive tract but this is the first time that I read such a sweeping condemnation of the carcinogenic effects of alcohol on its own.

Is this more disinformation from the French Public Health fascists or are there similar conclusions being drawn elsewhere?
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Increased risk of cancer from one glass of wine?

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:51 pm

Haven't heard about any studies that damning on this side of the Atlantic.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Norm N

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:58 pm

by Norm N » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:25 pm

I've always associated moderate consumption of wine with reduced cancer risks....many studies seem to support this

eg.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/fact ... prevention
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:40 pm

Tim York wrote:The French press today contains a report from Prof. Dominique Maraninchi of the (French) National Cancer Institute and Didier Houssin, Director General of Health, to the effect that as little as one glass a day of wine (unit of alcohol) entails a significantly increased risk of cancer. The report quotes 168% increased risk for cancers of the mouth, larynx and pharynx, 28% for the oesophagus, 10% for the breast and 9% for the bowel. I have read before that the association of tobacco and alcohol favours cancers of the upper digestive tract but this is the first time that I read such a sweeping condemnation of the carcinogenic effects of alcohol on its own.

Is this more disinformation from the French Public Health fascists or are there similar conclusions being drawn elsewhere?

Tim,
I keep a fairly close eye on studies of this sort and haven't seen anything close to this. Recent studies in fact swing much more to the opposite conclusion: that moderate consumption of alcohol and wine in particular is associated with a lower incidence of several diseases such as cancer and heart disease. Regarding the statistics: 168% increases mean little until one knows the raw numbers. For instance, the difference between 5 and 3 (out of 10,000) is a 168% increase, but could easily be within a statistical margin of error.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:39 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Tim York wrote:The French press today contains a report from Prof. Dominique Maraninchi of the (French) National Cancer Institute and Didier Houssin, Director General of Health, to the effect that as little as one glass a day of wine (unit of alcohol) entails a significantly increased risk of cancer. The report quotes 168% increased risk for cancers of the mouth, larynx and pharynx, 28% for the oesophagus, 10% for the breast and 9% for the bowel. I have read before that the association of tobacco and alcohol favours cancers of the upper digestive tract but this is the first time that I read such a sweeping condemnation of the carcinogenic effects of alcohol on its own.

Tim,
I keep a fairly close eye on studies of this sort and haven't seen anything close to this. Recent studies in fact swing much more to the opposite conclusion: that moderate consumption of alcohol and wine in particular is associated with a lower incidence of several diseases such as cancer and heart disease. Regarding the statistics: 168% increases mean little until one knows the raw numbers. For instance, the difference between 5 and 3 (out of 10,000) is a 168% increase, but could easily be within a statistical margin of error.

Mark Lipton

Mark,
That's about a 68% increase rather than 168% increase but your important point remains.

Tim,
Haven't seen the study, but "as little as one glass a day of wine (unit of alcohol)" suggests a grouping that was more than zero and was not more than a certain amount, but may have included people with high intake ---certainly high intake has been associated with oral, upper airway, esophageal cancers and breast cancers. Would be very surprised if 1 drink a day showed impressive risk increase, and there's lots of data for health benefit in moderate consumption.
Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:04 am

Charles Weiss wrote:Mark,
That's about a 68% increase rather than 168% increase but your important point remains.

Erk. Right you are, Charles. Let's make the example 8 vs. 3 and forget my little mathematical faux pas.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:41 am

I've found reports in the UK press about this. Needless to say, the UK Public Health fascists are also climbing onto this bandwagon.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... rench.html

There are several others in the same vein.

PS There has been some discussion of this report on the Auswine forum and a link has been provided to a report which looks a lot more serious, which I haven't had time to assimilate http://www.cancerinstitute.org.au/cance ... cancer.pdf .

PS2 Here is a link to the actual press release in French of the National Cancer Institute - http://www.e-cancer.fr/Presse/Dossiers- ... -ve_1.html . They refer to an underlying brochure which presumably reveals any "serious" basis for these conclusions.
Tim York