The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mostly Bdx, plus Riesling, CdP, SuperT at Afghan Kebab

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Mostly Bdx, plus Riesling, CdP, SuperT at Afghan Kebab

by Dale Williams » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:04 am

Headed to the city for a guys night with some old friends last night. We gathered at Afghan Kebab House on 9th; I hadn't been there in a while and as always enjoyed it. We shared some pumpkin and spinach bulanee and a complimentary dish of meat dumplings as an appetizer; for main course I had lamb kebabs, plus we shared some eggplant and a lamb stew.

The wines:
NV Deutz Brut Champagne
More elegant than powerful, bright, apples and orange peel with a biscuity note, quite a nice bottle of NV bubbly. I should drink more Deutz. Thanks Chris! B++

1993 Gunderloch Nackenheim Rothenberg Spatlese
Not as petrolly as the '94, though there definitely is some there. White peaches, lots of citrus, flowers. Not quite as vibrant as the '94 was, but a nice wine (though maybe a bit better on nose than palate). Good match with the pumpkin appetizer. B+/B

2004 La Roquete Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Sweet red fruit, decent acidity, some slightly gritty tannins. This could use some time, but nice potential is my initial impression. A retry later appeals a bit less, as there is a slight cough syrup note. I think others like more, and they have more affection for and experience with CdP than I. But for me, B/B-

1998 Galatrona Petrolo
Merlot SuperTuscan. Okay, this is unabashedly modern/international, but very well done in the idiom. Dense black plum fruit, with a little minty note and lots of milk chocolate. The oak has integrated into those cocoa notes, good length, big warm mouthfeel. I really enjoy the first glass, not quite so much later- not because wine changed, but others wines had come between. This is the kind of wine for me that I love a glass, but not so eager to have a bottle for dinner. Solid B+ for that first glass. Thanks John for a nice wine!

1989 Maximin Grunhauser (Von Schubert) Abtsberg Spatlese
This was another generous offering by John, and maybe bottle I was most looking forward to. It was a bit of a disappointment at dinner, a bit mute and tight. One could sense some coiled energy back there, but not a lot showing. However, I took the remainder with me and had a small glass on the train home. What a difference an hour makes. This was great (GREAT) wine. Light yet with a core of fruit that stood out purely, smoke and wet rocks. There's more, I hope that some of that greatness remains tonight. B-/B at dinner, A on the train.

1995 Ch. Lagrange (Pomerol)
I seldom see this wine, and tend to think of it as "lesser" compared to it's St Julien name-share. But that's based on .....I'm not sure what! Only second time I remember having this, and it showed nicely. Mature, solid plum fruit, a light leafy note. Some cedar. B+/B

1986 Ch. Meyney (St Estephe)
Arv commented how the whole Cordier stable (Meyney, Gruaud, Talbot) hit it out of the park in '86. Another nice showing for this old fave. Sweet dense fruit, some tobacco and cedar, still some tannins though not at all intrusive. This is coasting effortlessly, could even use a few more years. A-

1985 Ch. Canon (St Emilion)
Thanks Ramon, my WOTN (at table, we'll leave the Grunhauser on train out of this), just edges the Meyney, mainly because it is totally and completely a pointe right now. Despite that ripe '85 fruit, there's a good backbone of acidity. Tannins are resolved, there beautiful red fruit- a melange of cherries, red plums, berries. Cigarbox, menthol, damp earth. A lovely wine. A-

1989 Ch. Oliver (Pessac-Leognan)
Ramon says this is a great introductory Bdx for CA drinkers, I can see why. Ripe fruit, lighter tannins, low acids. There is an earthy note that says claret. Nice medium bodied wine, not the classic that WS called nor the dog that WA predicted. B

Not a wine I wouldn't happily have at my table. Nor a person I wouldn't happily have at my table! Generous and fun group.

EDITED FOR VINTAGE ERROR (GRUNHAUSER)

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Last edited by Dale Williams on Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

Re: WTN: Mostly Bdx, plus Riesling, CdP, SuperT at Afghan Kebab

by Michael Malinoski » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:31 pm

Dale, thanks for the great notes on a really interesting line-up.

I enjoyed the note on the '86 Meyney. The '85 may be easier-drinking at this stage, but the '86 can still go a ways--as you suggest.

Also interested to read your note on the Galatrona. I felt the same way about the 2004--one glass is fine and you can appreciate it for the style it is going for. I really thought there'd be more evolution with the '98, but either these need a long time to unwind or they will always hold this style.

-Michael
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:32 pm

Dale Williams wrote:1988 Maximin Grunhauser (Von Schubert) Abtsberg Spatlese
It was a bit of a disappointment at dinner, a bit mute and tight. One could sense some coiled energy back there, but not a lot showing. However, I took the remainder with me and had a small glass on the train home. What a difference an hour makes. This was great (GREAT) wine. 

Talk about backwards.

These wines are so sensitive! :wink:

Sounds great.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:10 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I took the remainder with me and had a small glass on the train home. ... A on the train.

Shockingly illegal! At least it was the A train...

Great notes, made me jealous. Sunday we go to Paris (sorry) and will exact suitable revenge.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:12 pm

I am not surprised by the Grunhaus at all. The '97 Kabinett I had last week with Salil was so young and vibrant he took it for a much younger wine (and I would have as well had I not known).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:14 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Shockingly illegal!

Nope, they have little bars at Grand Central where you can buy beer/wine for Metro North. BYO is ok!
Enjoy Paris
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:18 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Oswaldo Costa wrote:Shockingly illegal!

Nope, they have little bars at Grand Central where you can buy beer/wine for Metro North. BYO is ok!
Enjoy Paris

Interesting, I thought all "public" spaces were out of bounds. A few years ago I got a ticket for having a glass of wine on the lawn in Battery Park City and became mildly traumatized.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:41 pm

Thanks for the notes Dale … and a bigger “thank you” for organizing. It was a fun night with the boys, good food, and with not a single wine that I wouldn’t be happy drinking at any time.

Just adding my notes on a few:

1993 Gunderloch Nackenheim Rothenberg Spatlese – Some petrol/turpentine, meat and sweet spice on the nose. A little time in the glass revealed peach/apricot nose and flavor. I like drinking this. Thanks Dale.

1998 Galatrona Petrolo – 100% Merlot, black color, tannic, creamy, oak, black fruit, my notes may look like it is but “this ain’t no Pride!”, but this one is not OTT. BTW, just so I don’t get death threats from Pride-lovers, I like Pride for what it is.

1995 Lagrange (Pomerol) – A first for me with this wine/producer. Leafy and earthy nose. Good balance, soft tannin, ripe black fruit, some vanilla, tasty finish with slight hard caramel candy notes. I took home the remainder of the bottle and will re-taste with tonight’s dinner.

Regarding the 1988 Maximin Grunhauser (Von Schubert) Abstberg Spatlese, I gave up on writing notes on this last night as even had I brought my reading glasses with me, with the long German names on the label made impossibly-hard to read with the Germanic–style lettering, I decided that I would already consider it to be a positive experience for a German wine neophyte like me just to be able to get the correct names/spelling of this wine into my notebook. Thank you for posting your notes on this wine Dale – now at least I know the correct name and spelling.

T'was a fun night.

Ramon
Ramon Cabrera