The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Faively Mercurey 2002

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Faively Mercurey 2002

by Saina » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:51 pm

We used to see Faiveley's Mercurey Domaine de la Croix Jacquelet 2002 here, but I noticed today after I thought I had bought a bottle, that it has changed to simply Mercurey. The price is still the same, though. Alko ripping us off again, I see, and not even bothering to inform us on their website that it is a totally new product, just changing it from the Jacquelet into a basic village red without informing us. Or is it possible that the village wine and Croix Jacquelet are in fact the same wine?

I was still interested in it because I like Mercurey and Faiveley. The scent is absolutely lovely: vegetal but of arrestingly pure Pinosity. Very upright structure, lingonberries/bright and tart red fruit, very refreshing and with a pot of coq au vin very moreish indeed for those of us with perverse tastes. I like this very much.

So what does Faiveley do in Mercurey? I didn't see a basic or a Croix Jacquelet on their website, oddly enough. So with one Burgundy expert saying that the Jacquelet has always been the basic Mercurey (ergo this bottle and CJ would be the same), and another saying that Mauvarennes was the cheapest, what is going on with Faiveley's Mercureys? Perhaps I shouldn't worry too much since the wine was just wonderful to my tastes, but the geek in me wants to know.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Faively Mercurey 2002

by Brian K Miller » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:26 pm

Thanks for the notes, Otto. I actually really enjoyed Faiveley's very basic white burgundy, too...so I will look for this wine here.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

Re: WTN: Faively Mercurey 2002

by David Lole » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:55 pm

Otto,

For a number of years in the nineties I bought Faiveley's Mercurey 1er Cru La Frombosiere; a generous and fleshy pinot noir that drank well as a youngster with tannins that didn't rip the enamel off your teeth. Faiveley have been off my radar for some time now and I haven't bothered trying to source this excellent value for quite a number of years. Perhaps, I should.
Cheers,

David