The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Replacing a 1988 Clos Fourtet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MichaelRedhill

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:42 am

Narbonne, France

Replacing a 1988 Clos Fourtet

by MichaelRedhill » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:21 am

Here's a strange dilemma for you.

I (foolishly) bought a 1988 Clos Fourtet recently (I live in France), knowing in my heart it was probably over the hill, but not being able to resist. Opened it and it was totally corked. Undrinkable. Luckily, though, because if it had been merely dead in the bottle I'd be out the cash; however, the store has agreed to replace it.

This is what they're offering me:

1 bottle lynch bages 1993

OR 1 bottle pontet canet 1991

OR 2 bottles Reserve de la Contesse 1995

I'm leaning toward the Lynch Bages, but I'm also wondering about value. The Clos Fourtet sold for 90 euros ...

What do you all think?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Replacing a 1988 Clos Fourtet

by Dale Williams » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:07 am

As far as value, 2 bottles of '95 Reserve de la Comtesse are worth more than either the Lynch Bages or the Pontet (or '88 Clos Fourtet for that matter). I don't think I've had it, but the '95 Pichon Lalande is nice, though not ready, so the second might be drinking well now.

I haven't had the '93 Lynch Bages in a few years, and am not a big '93 fan, but I brought to a LB vertical a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised at how it did-not a big wine, but pleasant mature claret. Doubt it fell off a cliff since,though it is probably a little tired.

I would definitely put the Pontet Canet last. Not a good year - neck and neck with '92 for worst vintage of 90s on Left Bank, though Medoc is better than Right. Pontet Canet was generally viewed as an underachiever up till '94. Unless you knew someone who actually had tasted and liked, I'd pass.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:19 am

I would do the '95 Comtesse without a doubt.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:28 am

Michael, too bad about the 88 Clos Fourtet. Here's what you missed:

WTN: 1988 Clos Fourtet
by Jenise on Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:40 am

Of the Estate, Parker says: "...The wines have been plagued by a bland, dull, chunky, dry astringent fruitiness, and a curious habit of getting older without getting better. Certainly, the new style of Clos Fourtet, which commenced with the 1978 vintage, is a supple, overtly fruity, less tannic and easier wine to comprehend and enjoy. However, there are hundreds of Bordeaux chateaux that make wine such as this from far less prestigiously situated vineyards. Clos Fourtet needs a wake-up call.

Of the 88 he says: "The 1988 has not fared well in comparative tastings. The fruit has faded, and the tannins have become hard, lean and noticeably aggressive. In fact, I would argue that the 1988 is overburdened with tannins to the detriment of its concentration and fruit. Caveat emptor. Last tasted 4/91. 79 pts."

It's made of 70% merlot, 20% cab franc and 10% cab sauv.

Well, the tightly-wound three year old ugly duckling Parker describes has turned into a swan. Now it's a minor swan, and it wouldn't compete head to head with A Listers like Cheval Blanc, though I've not had any other St. Emilion from the 88 vintage, but owing to all the things that made it so unthrilling for the Bobster back when, it is now one very nice St. Emilion. And in fact, it will reward further cellaring.

Not decanted, the wine has a classic aged St. Emilion nose but was a bit unbalanced toward acidity on the palate. Food helped see through that, but the wine seemed to get younger in the glass, and it wasn't until the last pour two hours later that the fruit emerged and the wine became harmonious with soft berry fruit, tea leaves, and a tiny bit of graphite (unusual in a St. Em for me). No sediment whatsoever. I'm very happy to have another bottle.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

MichaelRedhill

Rank

Wine geek

Narbonne, France

by MichaelRedhill » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:12 am

Well, that just makes me saaaad. I don't think 2 bottles of the Comtesse is going to make up for that lost drinking experience, but it's better than being out 90 euros. Thanks for all the feedback; I'll tell them to ship me the two 95s ...

M
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:51 am

It's good that the store will stand behind product.

Just from financial standpoint, you'll do fine with the 2 bottles of the Pichon 2nd.
This is the CT community average value and the Winebid actual selling price for last quarter:
95 Reserve de la Comtesse $44/54
93 Lynch Bages $52/63
91 Pontet Canet $61/29
88 Clos Fourtet $ 51/28
no avatar
User

MichaelRedhill

Rank

Wine geek

Narbonne, France

by MichaelRedhill » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:23 am

Yeah, I was actually a little surprised that they did, considering that the price I paid for the wine was equivalent to 3x your highest market price. So I'm pleased I'll have a replacement.

I should mention this was on our first trip to Bordeaux, after eighteen months in the Languedoc, and although the first bottle on the trip was the 88 Clos Fourtet, later buying sprees turned up some beautiful, less expensive bottles, including a case of Chateau Pressac 2005 (which I'm going to have to look at longingly for at least another four years), some of the Chateaux Destieux 2005 (same story), and a gorgeous 2004 Clos de Sarpe.

However, drinking now, and really affordable, is the 2002 Pressac. Absolutely delicious -- I have no doubt it could hold its own in a blind tasting against many other St. Emilon's of the same vintage. The fellow who sold us the two Pressac vintages says the domaine is headed for GCC status next reclassification.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:17 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I would do the '95 Comtesse without a doubt.

Don't tell Laura :twisted:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:55 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:I would do the '95 Comtesse without a doubt.

Don't tell Laura :twisted:

Mark Lipton

D'oh!
Decisions are made by those who show up