The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What's the best wine deal you've gotten lately?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: What's the best wine deal you've gotten lately?

by Dale Williams » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:21 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:Zachy's had it recently at $7. They've got it now at $9, which is still a great price given their free shipping offer.

That free shipping offer ends tomorrow at midnight. Just $100 minimum (that's alway minimum for web transactions). One could do very well with the Dr L @ $9, the Leitz RK Kab, Langi Riesling, Schloss Lieser QbA, Vissoux Tradition all @ $15, '05 Haut Bergey at $30, etc
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:56 pm

Don't say such things! I'm trying to cut back on my buying... might need to dust off the wine probation thread at this rate. ;)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:56 pm

James Roscoe wrote:
Jenise wrote:Just remembered last week's score: 06 Vieux Donjon at $24.99.

I looked at the prices in this area and you got it for half off. A steal indeed. Dare I say , a back-up-the-truck deal?

I bought a case. But yeah, it's a wine my Canadian friends treat me to every so often, and every bottle's been a head-turner. But I've never owned my own. At this price, that had to change.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:19 pm

Some of your Canadian friends are still a little miffed that you got it for that price and we have to pay $60! :) :)
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:29 pm

Found a fairly good deal. We got a case of 2005 Avalon Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon for $174.49 with free shipping from wineglobe.com. That's $14.54 a bottle or around $3.50 less per bottle than we can get around here.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:51 pm

A new Safeway, with a pretty nice wine section, opened up the street. They had Chateau St. Jean 2003 Cinq Cépages marked at less than $30 a bottle. I picked up three, took them to the cash register where they rang up at just under $80 each. I told the cashier who called the wine manager who agreed that the price, while wrong, was what I should be charged. What luck!
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:11 pm

John
Here's a quandary - what if it wasn't Safeway, but a small independant wine merchant? My suspicion is we wouldn't press the deal seeking the wine at $30 (n.b. I recall a similar thread elsewhere and the supermarkets/chain were considered fair game, but for an owner/proprietor we took a more sympathetic appraoch to pricing mistakes).

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:44 am

Fossi Chianti Classico Riserva 1997: $19.99

Yes, C.V. Fossi is essentially a junk dealer, but this is the best junk! :D
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:15 am

Ian Sutton wrote:John
Here's a quandary - what if it wasn't Safeway, but a small independant wine merchant? My suspicion is we wouldn't press the deal seeking the wine at $30 (n.b. I recall a similar thread elsewhere and the supermarkets/chain were considered fair game, but for an owner/proprietor we took a more sympathetic appraoch to pricing mistakes).

Ian - I actually discussed the ethics of the situation with the Safeway wine manager and he insisted that I take the wine at the posted price. Additionally, I have bought several other bottles of wine there (no more price errors, either).

But you are right, if it had been my local wine shop owned by Ben, the guy I deal with almost all the time, I would have been very sympathetic and pointed out the error and hoped that Ben would have been thankful. I have an interest in my local shop doing well and not losing money, as does the whole community.
no avatar
User

Ruth B

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:32 am

Alberta Canada

by Ruth B » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:51 pm

A Mano Primitivo for $12.60, which north of the 49th is a stellar deal(usually over $15). Great spaghetti wine.
Our wine prices don't seem to be dropping despite the economic situation.
Ruth
Just North of Nowhere
Alberta Canada
no avatar
User

Ruth B

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:32 am

Alberta Canada

by Ruth B » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:56 pm

Redwinger wrote:
Jenise wrote:Just remembered last week's score: 06 Vieux Donjon at $24.99.

Nice!! One of my favorite CdP producers. And, rumors have it, that we'll soon have it distributed in Indiana.

ACK, we are paying twice that! If a certain Vancouver lawyer reads this thread he may be heading to visit you to buy a case!
Ruth
Just North of Nowhere
Alberta Canada
Previous