The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 05 Max Ferd Richter B'berger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Auslese**

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Andrew Burge

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:21 am

Brisbane Australia

WTN: 05 Max Ferd Richter B'berger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Auslese**

by Andrew Burge » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:48 pm

It takes some trickery to shorten the names of some of these wines to fit into the title space!

Part of a stay at home Valentines Day dinner last night, this was in fact the Cask 42 Auslese**. The nose is reticent as the bottle opens and evolves with the palate over time. A key with this wine seemed to be to let it warm. As its temperature changed this revealed a lot - first peach and nectarine, with some orange pith, fennel and even licorice. The it hit a grapefruit phase as it warmed a little, and at this point the wines structure started to shine, the fennel remained, and lovely acids making this balanced and complete, and just right for a fresh fruit dessert. With more time the spectrum moves to lemon and lime and the wine shows as more complete and contained. Nice experience, restoring my faith in Richter a little bit,

Cheers

Andrew

PS the other wine making up the dinner was the NV Bollinger Rose.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 05 Max Ferd Richter B'berger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Auslese**

by David M. Bueker » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:16 pm

Restoring your faith? have you had bad experiences? Richter is not in the top echelon of Mosel producers, but they generally make very good wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Andrew Burge

Rank

Ultra geek

Brisbane Australia

by Andrew Burge » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:02 pm

Hi David,

A few of Richters 06's were frankenstein wines to me - waaay above their pradikat (e.g. Spatlese at 106g/l) and I just couldn't find the acid. No complexity to speak of either. I didn't buy any 07s but have heard someone else make exactly the same complaint about them.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:08 pm

Well 2006 is a Frankenstein vintage, so I would not say its specific to Richter.

The pradikats were lost to history in about 2003 (at least kabinett & spatlese). Global warming has been the cause of their demise.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Andrew Burge

Rank

Ultra geek

Brisbane Australia

by Andrew Burge » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:18 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Well 2006 is a Frankenstein vintage, so I would not say its specific to Richter.

The pradikats were lost to history in about 2003 (at least kabinett & spatlese). Global warming has been the cause of their demise.

That's true - but of the 06 wines I've tried Richter was by far the worst. I hope it was one maker's outcome for one year and normal transmission will resume shortly.

Don't get me started on Global warming... :evil: