The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Castello di Verduno + Burgundies + Rougeard

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Castello di Verduno + Burgundies + Rougeard

by Saina » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:58 pm

We started with an interesting, if rather oaky, Loire white:

• 2002 Clos Rougeard (Foucault) Saumur Brézé - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur (2/11/2009)
    The oak sticks out a bit still and it smells almost like a white Burgundy, but it does have some Chenin character that shows through on the occasional sniff. The palate was better with moderately high acidity, dry and citrussy, quite characterful and with a long, refreshing aftertaste. If the oak fades on the scent I can see myself enjoying this very much in the future.

Then we had the main line-up of Castello di Verduno which was a new name to me, but one I should follow as they were fairly classic in style despite sometimes being rather fruity - but at least there were no barrique aromas! :) We had some duck with these wines:

• 2000 Castello di Verduno Barbaresco Rabajà - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (2/11/2009)
    From the first sniff this showed very obvious Nebbiolo aromas and also the general character of the year 2000: very, very ripe and sweet. Yet this is one of the rare (in my experience) Piemontese where the grape's character comes out as strongly as the vintage's. Full body, good acidity for the year, very approachable as so many 2000s are, but it has no signs of anything except primary fruit so I wouldn't open these now.
  • 1999 Castello di Verduno Barbaresco Rabajà - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (2/11/2009)
    A very attractive scent but a bit closed right now. It has true Nebbiolo aromas and is quite primary in its bright red but ripe scents. Good body, ripe but not over-ripe, but still a bit sweeter in its fruit than I would have expected from a fully "traditional" producer. But still very nice.
  • 1996 Castello di Verduno Barbaresco Riserva Rabajà - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (2/11/2009)
    A really lovely, classic Nebbiolo! Tar, roses and bright red fruit. Good body but refreshing acidity, ripe fruit but nothing sweet. Long and savoury. Not terribly expressive right now but beautifully balanced and should be wonderful in a few years. Lovely!
  • 2000 Castello di Verduno Barolo Monvigliero - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (2/11/2009)
    This was quite a lovely wine! Though it did show some very ripe fruit aromas, it was more reserved in them than the Barbaresco Rabaja 2000. In fact, this was very reserved for a 2000 Piemontese! Good structure, abnormally high acidity for the year (i.e. a very positive statement), so despite the sweet fruit I found it much to my taste. Nice!
  • 2001 Castello di Verduno Barolo Vigna Massara - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (2/11/2009)
    A really lovely wine, reminiscent of Vajra's Bricco delle Viole '01! This was a bit closed but it did show a classic and classy Nebbiolo aroma in a traditional style with no Barrique. Quite full body, wonderful structure with both tannins and acidity being refreshing and palate cleansing. The fruit is there but it isn't at all sweet or "modern". Quite lovely but closed just now.
  • 1997 Castello di Verduno Barolo Vigna Massara - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (2/11/2009)
    This is a vintage that I have, with a few exceptions, disliked despite its generally positive views. This was on ok wine but no more IMO. It smelled of rye bread as if prematurely aged, but also it was very, very sweet in its fruit aromas as if from over-ripe fruit. Quite full bodied, low in acidity, it seems quite paradoxical since it has such enormous fruit that one would expect it to have a long life ahead yet it also seems like it is approaching the end of its lifetime. Whether it is young or old, it just does not seem right. I'll pass.
  • 1996 Castello di Verduno Barolo Riserva Vigna Massara - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (2/11/2009)
    Lovely wine! Savoury, red fruit, bright, refreshing but fully ripe, classic Nebbiolo aromas. Refreshing structure, healthy fruit, very mineral, palate cleansing and refreshing. Though still young it has complexity: I would love to revisit this wine in 5-10 years time.

We also had a couple Burgundies:
  • 1964 Bouchard Père et Fils Volnay - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay (2/11/2009)
    Deep red core, very little orange on the rim. Looks several decades younger than it is. A really charming scent of pure Pinosity. It has some aged aromas of sous bois, but that is coupled with such vibrant red fruit that it seems as this bottle of the wine would have had a decade (or more) of life left in it! Good fruit, ripe but not over the top or overly aged, refreshing and bright acidity, tannins are resolved: this is still so vibrant I can imagine enjoying it in a decade. But it is also enchanting now. If this is a normal bottle: drink and hold.
  • 2006 Domaine Colinot Irancy Côte du Moutier - France, Burgundy, Côtes d'Auxerre, Irancy (2/11/2009)
    This was a wine that I think I will like, but it was not showing at all well now. It was a lighter style of Burgundy but with much Pinosity and a bit of dung. It had bright fruit, and was very strongly structured: very tannic, good acidity, the fruit was hiding a little bit. All the components I like in cheaper Burgundies were there, but they weren't quite together yet. Awkward now, but possibly a charming wine in the near future.
Posted from CellarTracker
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Castello di Verduno + Burgundies + Rougeard

by David M. Bueker » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:29 am

A '64 Volnay Villages with a decade of life left? Wow!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:14 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:A '64 Volnay Villages with a decade of life left? Wow!

At least. So even more wow. I think in all honesty if I had been given it blind, I would have guessed mid-90s.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:16 pm

Sounds fake (or cellared at 40 degrees F).
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:18 pm

Why would anyone fake a village wine from a Negociant who isn't even hugely appreciated these days? And even if it was a fake, it was a damned delicious one, one I would pay much more for than the 20€ or so that this bottle cost.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:59 pm

Yes, seems a funny candidate for faking. It's been my (limited) experience that village level Cote de Beaune often seem to hang on far longer than one would suspect. While most of us think of the CdN GCs as the most ageable, somehow some of their lesser southern cousins are amazingly long lived. I wonder if "back in the day" a lot more 1er fruit made it into the village blends, just because there wasn't a big market for the individual vineyards. And of course there's Rhone and Algeria..... :D
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:05 pm

That's more what I was actually thinking Dale. I should have said "doctored" instead of fake.