The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A Xarel.lo and two Slovenian Whites

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: A Xarel.lo and two Slovenian Whites

by Saina » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:39 pm

• 2004 Can Ràfols dels Caus Penedès Pairal Xarel.lo - Spain, Catalunya, Penedès (2/13/2009)
    100% Xarel.lo; in chestnut barrels. I recently reported on a varietal Xarel.lo from Vall Dolina, so I was happy to taste another to compare with it. Where the Vall Dolina was slightly oxidative and smelled of apples, this had a bright scent with no oxidativeness, mineral and citrussy, some sea breeze, slightly reminiscent of the Rías Baixas wines I have had except not so peachy and forcefully aromatic as those Albariño (and Albariño based blends) are. I still didn't notice the vegetative quality that apparently this variety should have. Dry, medium bodied, lovely high acidity, perhaps some might find a fault in it being too austere but I love it. Long and mineral. Lovely.
  • 2007 Dveri Pax Benedict - Slovenia, Podravje, Štajerska (2/13/2009)
    12,5% abv; Pinot gris 40%, Furmint 40%, Chardonnay 20%; 7g/l RS; 6,2g/l acidity. The scent is very attractively mineral and has a spicy, red fruit character that I have seen in the few varietal Furmints I have tried - but this character is somewhat like the better PGs I've tried, so this seemingly wacky blend does have a logic behind it. And what is most important, the blend works. Very lively, but quite full bodied, lively and terpsichorean. Mineral, refreshing and citrussy on the finish. Long. Nice!
  • 2007 Dveri Pax Traminec - Slovenia, Štajerska (2/14/2009)
    Mineral and floral, but unlike my last two bottles, this one is more like a Jura Savagnin than a Gewurztraminer. Fairly light but intense and persistent. Mineral finish. Lovely.
Posted from CellarTracker
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.