The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1998 Sine Qua Non E-Raised Syrah

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:51 am

Maryland

WTN: 1998 Sine Qua Non E-Raised Syrah

by David Glasser » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:55 pm

• 1998 Sine Qua Non E-Raised - USA, California, Central Coast (2/12/2009)
    Dark purple still, turning dark red at rim. Bottomless complex nose of rich dark and red fruits - blackberries and strawberries, bacon fat, chocolate, coffee, leather and beef blood. Huge body but not overbearing, silky smooth mouthfeel, rich ripe dark fruits on the palate with great balance, moderate complexity, very long finish with dark fruits giving way to red fruits on the back palate. Fully integrated and mature, should hold another 5+ years or more. Outstanding!

Next night - even smoother and silkier, but it hasn't lost a bit of its richness and density.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: 1998 Sine Qua Non E-Raised Syrah

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:30 am

Any idea what E-Raised means? Maybe it's some pun on Erased, but that leaves me equally in the dark!
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:51 am

Maryland

by David Glasser » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:26 pm

Oswaldo, good guess! That's half the story. "E" is Manfred Krankl's pet name for his wife Elaine, and since they "raised" the wine together, they named it "E-raised."

The "e-rased" part of the story has to do with the TTB's rejection of the label art designed by Manfred (not the first nor the last time this has happened). So they decided to put an "erased" white label on it:

E-Raised label.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:08 pm

Very funny! That reminded me of Robert Rauschenberg's "Erased De Kooning Drawing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.