The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Why screwcap wines are less popular in the USA?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: Why screwcap wines are less popular in the USA?

by Mark Lipton » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:11 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:So then Rahsaan - what constitutes an interesting, vegetarian sandwich?

Here's mine: pesto or tapenade, roasted red peppers, arugula, pickled peppers and a few slices of cheese on a baguette. Alternative #2 uses avocado, tomato (fresh or sundried) and goat cheese on baguette.

Either one of those makes a great accompaniment to a glass of rosé or chilled white wine on a hot day.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:12 pm

Keith M wrote:Romesco sauce with the sweetness of grilled onions, olive paste with the right cheese and bitter greens, even chickpeas ground up with something that gives them verve with the crunch and cleanliness of a cucumber, these are the innovations that make vegetarian sandwiches interesting for me.

These are definitely more interesting than the old standbys, and thankfully you do see more of this kind of thing. In the right places!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:13 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Here's mine: pesto or tapenade, roasted red peppers, arugula, pickled peppers and a few slices of cheese on a baguette. Alternative #2 uses avocado, tomato (fresh or sundried) and goat cheese on baguette.

Either one of those makes a great accompaniment to a glass of rosé or chilled white wine on a hot day.

The 'hot day' aspect is key. Great summer ideas. But I beg stores to please rotate menus across seasons!!!
Last edited by Rahsaan on Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:15 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Here's mine: pesto or tapenade, roasted red peppers, arugula, pickled peppers and a few slices of cheese on a baguette. Alternative #2 uses avocado, tomato (fresh or sundried) and goat cheese on baguette.

Nice. I'm still biased though (after spending some of my childhood in the Middle East and being totally spoiled by great shawarmas) - for vegetarian sandwiches nothing beats a few falafels, french fries (very popular in any shawarmas/sandwiches in Saudi Arabia) and fried onions with tahini and some hot sauce sandwiched/rolled in flat Arabic bread. Mmm... :)
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:21 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:

Nice. I'm still biased though (after spending some of my childhood in the Middle East and being totally spoiled by great shawarmas) - for vegetarian sandwiches nothing beats a few falafels, french fries (very popular in any shawarmas/sandwiches in Saudi Arabia) and fried onions with tahini and some hot sauce sandwiched/rolled in flat Arabic bread. Mmm... :)

I'm with you, Salil. I eat falafels at least once weekly, and hummous and babganoush make great spreads for European-type sandwiches, too. The best falafel sandwich of my life was eaten in the Armenian Quarter of Jerusalem in '83, a golden moment of time in between intifadas.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:49 pm

Keith M wrote:But I think a particular challenge for vegetarian sandwiches is a binding agent that brings the whole package together.

Not being a meat-eater, why is this more of a challenge for vegetarian sandwiches?
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:52 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Keith M wrote:But I think a particular challenge for vegetarian sandwiches is a binding agent that brings the whole package together.

Not being a meat-eater, why is this more of a challenge for vegetarian sandwiches?

In my opinion, it is because meat (or the way flavors come together in meat) is its own binding agent. Animal fats and the particular bundle of flavors and taste sensations within meat provide the template to bring the rest of the sandwich together. Given quality ingredients, meat-based sandwiches should require little assistance in that regard. Vegetarian sandwiches, on the other hand, are about bringing together ingredients in such a way where the primary value added of the ingredients is not lost, but that the whole is still a whole unto itself.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:02 pm

Wow - thank God for thread drift. I am learning a lot.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:28 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Wow - thank God for thread drift. I am learning a lot.

Yep, me too. Also, when I clicked on page 2 from the index page, I wondered if somehow I had been magically whisked to the food forum. :roll:
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:52 pm

Keith M wrote:In my opinion, it is because meat (or the way flavors come together in meat) is its own binding agent. Animal fats and the particular bundle of flavors and taste sensations within meat provide the template to bring the rest of the sandwich together..

I can see that.

I was just wondering because meat sandwiches still need something (e.g. mustard, mayo) to loosen it up and bring it together, but not necessarily flavor-wise in the way you are talking.
Previous