The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Marechal Savigny-les-Beaune White

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2004 Marechal Savigny-les-Beaune White

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:26 pm

2004 Catherine et Claude Marechal Savigny-les-Beaune White 13.5%
I enjoyed a few bottles of the 2002 and one bottle of the 2004 a few months ago but this one was, initially, just disappointing. The nose was subdued, with some white flowers, maybe. The fruit was also dull, with a hint of anis and some mineral. Good acidity but a hollow mid-palate. Tart ending. As it warms, oxidative notes suddenly rear their ugly head*. Duh, now I understand, it's shot because it's lightly maderized. So lightly that it took some air and warming to become clear.

So, premox strikes again. And in a 2004, no less. I was hoping this problem had been corrected after 2000 or so. Of course, one data point is not enough, but if the problem remains, we wouldn't be noticing it in wines from the first few years of this decade because they were still so young. Until now.

* why they are ugly here and not in the Jura is a question for another thread...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2004 Marechal Savigny-les-Beaune White

by Rahsaan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:54 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Savigny-les-Beaune White

Out of curiosity, does the label actually say 'White' or is that your translation for us?
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:41 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Oswaldo Costa wrote:Savigny-les-Beaune White

Out of curiosity, does the label actually say 'White' or is that your translation for us?

It's a Louis/Dressner import and the front label says:

Savigny-les-Beaune

Appelation Savigny-les-Beaune Controlé

WHITE BURGUNDY WINE

Catherine et Claude Maréchal

Grands Vins de Bourgogne
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:03 pm

Ok.

That is a little more understandable than them actually putting the word 'White' in full central position after SLB.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:48 am

The lightly premoxed bottle above made me suspicious of my last bottle of 04 Marechal white. What if I am storing another premoxed bottle and waiting just delays the inevitable? So, last night, off went the cork and, by golly, it was in good shape!

2004 Claude et Catherine Marechal Savigny-les-Beaune (White)
Subdued but attractive nose of citrus, vanilla and white flowers. Refreshing mouth feel, good acid/sweet balance, good consistency and finish, deft use of oak. An excellent glass of basic white burgundy, though I found myself pining for the mix of je ne sais quois and vive le diference that chenins and rieslings have been giving me of late.