The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Georg Breuer Nonnenberg Rheingau Riesling

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2002 Georg Breuer Nonnenberg Rheingau Riesling

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:20 am

2002 Georg Breuer Nonnenberg Rheingau Riesling 12.5%
Rich nose of linden, honey, wet granite and something faintly herbal. First taste is a bracing burst of citric acidity, pleasantly tongue tingling, but with matching and perfectly balanced sweetness. Soon a light petrol note emerges, laced with caramel, with a slightly moldy, wet paper aftertaste. I enjoyed this wine immensely; it was both rich and lean, multifaceted and razor sharp, and intriguing because different, in sensation, from my usual diet of (mostly Mosel) rieslings. Lovely.
Last edited by Oswaldo Costa on Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: 2002 Georg Breuer Nonnenberg Rheingau Riesling

by Redwinger » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:38 am

I've only had a few of the Breuer wines, but each one has been a delight. I have not tasted any of the post Bernhard wines, so I can only hope the quality remains at the same high level.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:05 am

Redwinger wrote:I've only had a few of the Breuer wines, but each one has been a delight. I have not tasted any of the post Bernhard wines, so I can only hope the quality remains at the same high level.

This was my first and I'll certainly be going back for more. When did the changing of the guard take place?
Last edited by Oswaldo Costa on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:10 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:
Redwinger wrote:I've only had a few of the Breuer wines, but each one has been a delight. I have not tasted any of the post Bernhard wines, so I can only hope the quality remains at the same high level.

This was my first and I'll certainly be going back for more. Whan did the changing of the guard take place?

IIRC, Bernhard died in 2004 or 2005.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:13 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:a slightly moldy, wet paper aftertaste. I enjoyed this immensely.

That is a curious sensation. But I guess it was positive.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:02 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Oswaldo Costa wrote:a slightly moldy, wet paper aftertaste. I enjoyed this immensely.

That is a curious sensation. But I guess it was positive.

Thanks, I edited to read I enjoyed this wine immensely (the moldy aftertaste wasn't so great, but the rest was so good that I wasn't in the mood to quibble).
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:09 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:This was my first and I'll certainly be going back for more. When did the changing of the guard take place?

Bernhard died suddenly in May 2004.
His Brother Heinrich and daughter Theresa are now in charge. The winemaker is still the same (Hermann Schmoranz). As far as I have been able to note, there has been no loss in quality, which means they are (for me) among the top estates in Germany. Theresa is very ambitious and uncompromising.
Cheers,
Anders